Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

virtual memory too low message in windows XP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

priyankaj

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2003
IN
i have 256 mb ram on my comp and 4 GB harddisk with 4 partitions. Why do i get virtual memory low quite frequently on my computer?
can someone also tell tips and tricks to increase the speed of windows XP?

Add more ram XP likes as much as you can give it but I would have 512 for a minimum. Also make sure you know what programs are running in the background.

i have 256 mb ram on my comp and 4 GB harddisk with 4 partitions.
That is your main problem right there. I'm guessing that you have 4 partitions each of 1 gig. Well with xp your swap file is going to be on your c drive unless you put it somewhere else. Wich I doubt. Anyway as you alread have your entire windows folder on your c drive along with your documant and pictures and music and whatnot you are running very low on disk space on that drive. you need to upgrade t o a larger drive or get rid of some of the stuff on the c drive. Either delete it or move it to another partition or drive. The best answer to your question is to get another hard drive. Just remember to not pay much more than 1 dollar per gig. anything over that is just price gouging.

Jim

Semper Fi
My new Baby BOY!!

sorry i meant i have 256 mb ram and 40 GB harddisk not 4 GB

C: drive space is 9.76 GB and free pace in c: is 6.97 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back