Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual Memory Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamaar

Technical User
Jun 29, 2000
GB
we have just rolled out a number of Compaq machines with W2k on them and on a few of them it keeps reporting that the machine is running out of virtual memory - the machines are only 2 wks old, have 128MB and a 20GB HDD. Has anyone else come accross this. It increases each time but does not seem to fail to come back.

Thanks in advance Lamaar75@hotmail.com

Have you tried going into My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance options? I was having the same problem and what I did was lowered the minimum to 512 and made the maximum 1024, and it works fine now.....

77ventura is on the right tract. Your Swap file is too small. Are you letting windows settle the swap file space? As stated in the earlier post you should set it your self. There are many different ways of doing it. Try each that is suggested and stick with the one that works best for your needs. I suggest making both your min and max swap file the same size. In your case about 320MEG (both min and max)should do fine. Also if possible adding more RAM will help, which may be out of your reach with many machines. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. My current settings were 300MB for both which I had set around a week ago. I still get the error messages so I think I will just have to increase it some more.

Regards Lamaar75@hotmail.com

The next time you get this error, check task manager for kicks and let me know if any of the individual processes are taking up a LOT of memory. We were having this problem on a few machines, and it turned out to be a documented problem with SMS SP3 and the Novell NetWare Client. The "spoolsv.exe" process leaked memory like crazy and was regularly consuming almost 100 MB of memory!! Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

Heath is right. check what apps and processes are running in the background and monitor which one consumes the most resource.
Jeffrey Rebong
Computer Engineer/Network Administrator
jrdebug@yahoo.com

OK...I checked the apps and guess what....Novel NW Client was killing my machine, I couldn't believe how much memory this thing was using. Iv'e now changed it over to Microsofts version and will monitor it to see how it goes. Lamaar75@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back