Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual Memory Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cre8ivDesign

Technical User
Apr 15, 2001
CA
Hi I have been receiveing the following error in Corel sometimes (see attached file).....it will appears when no other program is open or if I have 2-3 open. Below are the specs of my computer....shoudl be fine as I didn't get this on my old computer....which was half the specs, not core duo, XP home.

Xp Pro
Core Duo 2.34 Ghz
2 GB Ram

I don't want to change any settings if needed, cause I didn't have to do anything on my old syetem, however if there are any suggestions please let me know where to go to change them....Not sure what the "Use Offscreen Image" is or where it is, but whatever is the default it what I use and have used before.....

please help cause it's driving me nuts and I don't think I should be getting this!!!

I'm using Corel Draw v12....

I'll post this to coreldraw.com as well and If I get a response over there I'll post to here....

I've seen this message in other programs, caused by having an old version of a program written in the days when it was reasonable to presume nobody had more than 256Mb of memory and performing the calculation using registers that are too narrow to contain the whole number, thereby truncating the top bits and treating 260Mb as if it were 4Mb.

Alternatively, the top bit gets treated as a SIGN digit so that anything between 2Gb and 4Gb gets treated as a negative number between 2Gb and 0.

Either way, there's not much you can do about it other than make sure you have full windows updates for XP and installed any patches that were issued for C12.

However, a possible thought -- some programs try to create temporary files on the same drive as the file you're creating. If the file is on a network drive, and especially if there is limited space there, it can help to make a local copy of the file and work on it there.

I do remember V12 having a out of memory issue but I didn't recognise that particular one you have, is it patched to the latest build>
Alan D

This is a response I got from coreldraw.com...it has since been resolve for versions X3 and the new X4.....will be upgrading soon anyways, so I'll deal with it for now!!!

"If you'll notice, the "Minimum ammount" is a lot lower than your actual "Free Memory". This was a bug in version 12 any time free memory exceeded 2MB because when it was written, systems almost never had that much free memory. Most folks find that simply clicking the red X to dismiss the window (not the OK) will let them continue and after some time the error message simply stops appearing.
I don't know of any fix to get it to quit and not come back ever. Sorry. I admit it's annoying, but harmless."

Hope this helps anyone else that might having this too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back