Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual Machine downgrade version after conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

joblack23

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2008
US
I have attempting numerous times to convert a standalone machine. The only option that worked for me was to use version 10. That said I have no problem using web client but I find it difficult at times. I was curious if there is an easy way to downgrade so my venter 5.5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You converted your host. You upgraded your VM and you updated your vCenter and now you want to downgrade one or all? Not exactly clear. Bottom line though is that 5.5 is the last vSphere version that will have any form of the old C# vSphere Client and it is all web going forward, so you might as well get used to using web only. New features of 5.5 that are not available in prior versions are only useable and supported via the Web Client.

Agreed with cabraun, better get used to the web client, 5.5 is the last of a breed. There are a few things I am not happy about the web client, for one it is sloooo logging and moving around Update Manager is a bit wonky getting it to work but we've been able to do everything through the web client. It just takes some getting used to. The more you use it the more you find what you need. I pretty much only use the web client.

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Thanks guys,
I have 15 vms all in the vcenter nicely lined up but one. I just find it annoying to go elsewhere for just that one.
Thanks

If you have 1 VM at version 10 and all the others are 4, 7, 8, vmx9 and you really want the 1 other to match one of those other versions, you can try to V2V the troublesome using the VMware Standalone Converter and during the process you will be asked what hardware version you want.

If 5.5 won't let you do that, you can take the hardware that the v10 VM was running on before you P2V'd it and install ESXi5.1 or 5.0 on it and then V2V your VM onto that box. Then shut the VM down and move it over to your production cluster.

That is about the only way to downgrade a VM's hardware version that I am aware of.

You would be much better off going forward though to upgrade the hardware on the 14 others and get used to the web client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back