Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual MAC address

Status
Not open for further replies.

amins

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
BE
Has anyone come across this before? I have two passport 8600 running VRRP and SMLT and I have two servers with load balancing and a virtual IP address with a virtual MAC address associated. I can ping the two physicals address of the two servers but I am unable to ping the virtual address on one of the two passports. One of the two passports doesn't have the virtual MAC address in his table but the other one well

RotBull

Hello, have you got an answer or have you fix the problem please ? I've exactly the same pb now with impleting MS clustering with SMLT between BPS2000 and Passport 8000. I'll be very interessting to know the the tips to make so that it works.

Many thanks for your help
Manuel

I'm not sure on the 8600's but on Cisco 6500 you need to manually enter a static virtual mac address into the arp table for example arp 10.80.254.46 03bf.0a50.fe2e ARPA
The Nortel routers are fine they accept multicast mac addresses no problem.....regards

The problème was resolved by adding:

ip arp multicast-mac-flooding enable

amins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back