Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

virtual folder permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbromberg

Programmer
Jun 24, 2002
US
I set up a new virtual folder on my website and whenever a user tries to access anything in this folder (an asp script in this case) it prompts him/her to login (using the standard microsoft popup of username, password, and server). While it is true that I can log on to my domain with the administrator account using this method and then I can view whatever I like, I want users to be able to view things in the folder without having to know my administrator password (obviously). I have the virtual directory permissions set to allow reading and script execution, but I still can't access it from the web. I can access stuff in the main directory just fine from the web.

Okay if I put the file I am trying to access (this is the second problem I'm talking about now, but I still need help with the first) in the same folder as the script I'm executing, I can access the file using c:\inetpub\ but I can't do the same for c:\inetpub\ when the file is in the same place and the folders have identical permissions. What gives!

-dbromberg

What on earth is wrong with this?! This is combined with first and second problem. I have two folders, absolutely IDENTICAL permissions, in one folder from the web I can run htm files, but no asp scripts (when I try it comes up with the message from problem 1 about needing username password and domain. In the second folder I appear to be able to access scripts (but of course I get the second problem where I can't access cgi-bin). Why can I run scripts in one but not in the other when they have identical permissions? I tried this on another computer I hadn't logged onto and it had the same results. I'm confused.

-dbromberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back