Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewpoint Souce User 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevePB

Technical User
Dec 6, 2001
GB
I am trying to use Viewpoint to check which web sites are being accessed at what times of day.

I have created a custom report, based on the Web Activity template, but the Source User/Hostname column always says "N/A". I am able to see web usage by IP address in the standard summary reports (but this doesn't give times of day).

Can anyone help ?

Thanks, Steve.

Hi Steve it's a honor to have longtime members come to our forum to ask for assistance, Thank you I'm sure you will be helped.

Steve you will have to enable ULA (user level authenication) either LDAP (using Active Directory) or add local users to the firewall. With this enabled Viewpoint will now know what uses was logged on while they was surfing the WEB. This will be the best solution for accurate Viewpoint reports.

Do you mind sharing with me why you need this report?

Roger White CISSP, CISA, CISM, GSEC
Certified SonicWALL Instructor
Certified Security Architect and Auditor
SonicWALL Curiculum Developer and Senior Trainer
SonicWALL Academy
(718)450-8127

Hi Roger,

In reciprocation, it is an honour to receive a reply (so quickly) from someone that is certified - particularly when it is in the subject of interest :)

We don't have AD (we're currently on Novel 5.1), and I need to track the web access by IP address as the users are not necessarily fixed to one workstation. I hoped that, as the IP address is shown in the summary reports, I would be able to see this in the custom report.

- Steve.

OHH Steve I assumed MIcrosoft took over the world... I forgot take Novell is still alive in some parts of the world (hehe). Anyway, you can use NOvell's E-Directory also.

Roger White CISSP, CISA, CISM, GSEC
Certified SonicWALL Instructor
Certified Security Architect and Auditor
SonicWALL Curiculum Developer and Senior Trainer
SonicWALL Academy
(718)450-8127

Thanks again Roger, but we don't have E-Directory - it only works with Netware 6.5 or later.

- Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back