Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewmeter Over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anakha92

Technical User
Feb 11, 2008
CA
Alright, I'm having a little problem with my monitor.

My computer had some major issues quite a while ago, and thus I eventually was forced to reformat my hard drive. But I also decided to use WinXP pro instead of Win2K (which I was using), I also installed a different video card, and put in a bigger Ram Stick.

I installed and upgraded drivers for my network card, motherboard, video card, monitor etc. and now I often get this problem, which had NEVER occured before switching to WinXP (I don't know why I changed, Win2K was so much better :( )

I get this:

Viewmeter

FH: - X.XKHZ
FV: + X.XHz

Where x is being the numbers show (They are sometimes random, and I can never remember them)

This might help also. I can take a look at the viewmeter as it is at the minute, so I'll post what comes up:

Viewmeter
U10: USER MODE 10

FH : - 47.8KHZ

FV: + 59.9HZ

Unfortuently the error is not repeatable, it occurs with no apparent pattern involved, so I can't investigate it further .
When I get this error, I am also forced to Restart my computer via restart button on my computer case.

Here are some Computer info you might find useful:

Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Computer:
AMD Sempron Processor
3000+
1.84GHz, 512 MB of Ram

Video card: Radeon 9550
Monitor: ViewSonic UltraBrite A90f+

Let me know what you can do to help, and tell me if you need anymore information to help.

Alright, My Resolution is currently (And almost allways is) 1280 x 768

Yes, I installed the Driver, that should go without saying, should it not? :p

But, how do I tell what My Scan rate is, and What I should set it to?

When dealing with a problem, especially in forums, it is never safe to assume anything, hence the question about loading your monitor driver.

Looking at the link I posted above for the specifications for your monitor, 1280x1024 maximum scan rate is 80Hz. Your Viewmeter FV is the vertical scan rate, and it is this value that the specifications are referring to. I can't find the specs for th FH (horizontal rates.) From what you listed, your vertical scan rate actually appears low (60Hz); you must be experiencing awful flickering.

You will have to get into the properties for your ATI Radeon drivers to see what it is set for. Right-click on the desktop, then select Properties. This is as far as I can take you at the moment as each driver supplies their own set of tabs for various display adjustments. You want to ensure that the correct monitor type is displayed, along with a refresh rate less than or equal to the maximum for the resolution you are running, as defined in the monitor specs.

Hmm as it turns out, 1280 x 768 wasn't on the monitor specs list. I have changed it now to 1024x768, and I'll post updates to the problem as they occur

Oh and no, no flickering at all :p
I've never had a case where my computer monitor would flicker in my life :eek:

I read the 1280x768 as 1280 x 1024. Wow, completely blind on that one [censored]

You must never had a a monitor set to less than 75Hz or so never to experienced flicker. I have users that run their monitor at 60Hz and it drives me nuts trying to work on their PC as the flicker is distracting.

Post back if any further problems. Good Luck.

it happened again. i did some research tho, and apparently, viewmeter is a feature that 'saves' your computer from Direct x (or something like that) could this be useful at all?

I found a way to duplicate the issue.... If I run the Torrent program, UTorrent, Within a few seconds to minutes, I get the same screen with status over, useful?

new symptom i forgot to list, after I reset my machine after it gives me the status over, it usually goes to standby before loading the welcome screen of Winxp, Although I can simply click my mouse, or a key on my keyboard to let it continue.

Try setting a lower resolution to see if the same problem occurs. Do you have another video card to try?

yup, tried a different video card that I know works, installed drivers correctly, and still the same results... however, i did find this out:

FH displays the signal input coming from my computer, and FV represents the refresh rate, which is currently 60Hz

It says this atm:

FH: - 48.3KHz
FV: - 60.0Hz

(just normally, not when it goes to "over"

I tried at my lowest (800x600) and still the same issue...

Also, when I did that, I caught the numbers it said:

FH: 00.3KHZ
FV: 90.9HZ

This Never happened to Good Ol' Dependable Win2K :( Why did I switch??!

Both FH and FV monitor the scan rates from your video card. FH is the Horizontal scan rate and FV is the Vertical scan rate.

An FH of 00.3KHz is probably the problem. Way too low compared to the other numbers you posted.

Next step would be to try a different monitor.

I am not convinced this is an XP problem.

Well, THOSE numbers came with the Status over, and they would once in a while change as the error occured. Moreso, I can almost garuntee it is a XP problem, because the only cases I found of this besides my problem was with WinXP Pro Sp2.

And I HAVE tried a different monitor. The monitor just goes into standby instead of giving me the viewmeter over screen instead. That monitor was a Viewsonic Ultrabrite A70f+ and I did install the drivers for that too.

And for them, It never happened with anything other than WinXP too...

The numbers are trying to tell you that something is wrong with either the horizontal or vertical scan rate. In the case you posted, the horizontal scan rate was out of specification. Why would it drop from around 47KHz to 300Hz?

The cause can be, in no particular order: video card, video driver, monitor, monitor driver, software application.

You say you've tried all of the above. Something in your system is causing the scan rates to go out of specification. We have not discussed what software is running, but you said the problem is random with no pattern.

Did the A70f+ ever work when you tried it? If not then you had the resolution and/or scan rate set to something that monitor couldn't handle.

Maybe it is the ATI video driver. The latest, posted 13-Feb-2008, is here:
If you are convinced it is XP, install Windows 2000 again.

In your monitor properties, perhaps you can set the parameters so that the system will not try to read your monitor settings (DDC channel) and automatically change the vertical and horizontal settings. I say perhaps because it may depend on your driver version. You can also tell the control panel that the monitor is a plain monitor.

I do have a NEC monitor for which Windows has a wrong parameter table. When it comes back from a mode change, it tries to drive the monitor at 120Hz vertical, which is out of the monitor range. The viewmeter shows vertical at 20Hz, because it only has two digits, but I measured it with a scope and it was at 120Hz.

Oh I forgot about this post. Thanks but no worries. No one on this thread managed to fix the problem, but the problem has been resolved. As it turns out the problem was related to a hardware conflict. My Kv8 Pro has an on board Gigabit LAN adapter, yet I had a separate adapter that I was using. After remembering this, disabling that adapter, and using the on board, I found the two devices were in conflict, causing the problem. So NO it wasn't related to the monitor. No it wasn't related to my bloody drivers. So there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back