Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ViewMail

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballmama

Instructor
May 21, 2002
US
Do any of you have an NEC telephone system and use a product known as ViewMail with your Exchange Server? If so, I have questions. If not, I'll search for another forum.

I use it! I'll be happy to help you answer any questions.

Great. I currently use Viewmail 3.6.1, Outlook XP and Exchange 2000. Service packs are current on Outlook and Exchange. My Viewmail is set to automatically download messages to the local machine and remove from the AD40 voice mail computer. With older versions of Viewmail and Outlook, this worked flawlessly. The current version works well with Outlook 2K. Voicemails are rarely in sync between the telephone and Outlook. The phone will report odd numbers of messages, or will not download at all.

The second symptom that we cannot forward voicemails through Viewmail. It doesn't seem to recognize the outlook contacts. We can type a full email address (name@domain.com) and it will still fail. At that point, the failed message recognizes that it is an attached .wav file and can be forwarded with no problem -- Viewmail is out of the picture.

I have worked with Activevoice and NEC extensively. When I originally posted my email, my telephone provider was telling me that I would need to make adjustments to my Exchange server. That's not real because in essence, the Voice mail server speaks SMTP directly to the local machine -- not to exchange. They now tell me that they have located a bug and are reprogramming the product. In fact, I just received that piece of software today. My local phone provider doesn't have great deals of experience with the networking aspect of it, and they have proved to be particularly unhelpful.

I don't know if I'm on the right track, or wrong track. But I feel particularly helpless since my primary service provider is unable to offer assistance. This isn't a knock on them, just a reality.

I don't think I can be of much help. I feel your distress. I'm running viewmail 1.5.8(this is the version supplied to me by vendor @ 3 months ago), Outlook 2000 and Exchange 2000. We have a couple of similiar problems:
1. One recording in the middle of @ 180 recordings won't get sent to outlook.
2. Recording successfully sent to outlook, but a copy still remains in voicemail. (It will successfully delete the rest from voicemail as configured.)
I do have ours configured to check the voicemail transport provider first. I've been unable to find much documentation regarding the differences in versions for viewmail... do you know of any?
As far as forwarding the voicemails, I don't any experience w/ this. I would like to keep communication w/ you, and maybe together we can figure out what's happening.

I agree -- maybe we can work through this together! The documentation is bad at best. I feel as if the phone providers have decent docs, but they aren't sharing it. I will look at the readme files provided with my software and see if there is anything available.

I do know that the VoiceMail software that runs on the OS/2 voice mail server was upgraded recently to account for some of this and the problem of orphaning a voice mail on the server has decreased significantly. I am amazed that you only got version 1.5.8. The software that I was provided late last week is 3.0.7.1 dated May 15. I also have a pdf file with some documentation available.

When this product works well, my users are very pleased!

Have you noticed any difference in the versions (as far as options or configurations)? I'm trying to get a tech manual for it, but am fighting tooth and nail to get it! I've got 15 users recording @ same time, how many users do you have using it at once?

No. The setup screens look the same, which is good. I have about 50 users, but only 8 at 1 time.

I have a 2 page .pdf document on workstation setup. It's pretty basic. It discusses System Guide and other documents. I want those docs too! Why is it so hard to get this from my phone provider? They don't even want to supply original software.

Here is the brief text of the latest readme:

ViewMail for Microsoft Messaging 3.0.7.1 (NEC Version)

==============================================================================
OUTLINE

1. HOW TO INSTALL
2. ONYX (CPR) INCIDENTS FIXED BY THIS RELEASE
3. OTHER CHANGES IN THIS VERSION
==============================================================================

1. HOW TO INSTALL

If you were using a previous version of VMM please ensure that it is uninstalled before setting up this new version. There is only one file associated with this release which is a self-extracting installation program using the Microsoft Windows Installer technology (MSI). Save the file to your Desktop and run it from there.

2. ONYX (CPR) INCIDENTS FIXED BY THIS RELEASE

QA #2504: VMM not deleting voice messages off of the Repartee server
QA #2608: Outlook generates error when attempting to forward messages to external email address
QA #2465: Internally forwarded voice messages getting stuck in outbox
QA #2526: Pre-Install error with 32bit VMM (Install "Rollback" Problem)

3. OTHER CHANGES IN THIS VERSION

Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 2 is now required when using VMM with Microsoft Outlook XP (2002). The installation program for VMM will automatically detect if SP2 is installed, and if it isn't will not allow installing VMM.

Detects previous versions of VMM and if one is found the installation will require that the previous version be uninstalled first prior to upgrading to the latest version.

The installer will check that the account under which it is running has administrative privileges (under NT based operating systems). If this is not the case VMM will not install.

8KHZ support for Repartee for Windows 2.2 voice mail server has been added. VMM will automatically switch between 8KHZ and 6KHZ conversion format depending on the voice mail server used. Note, currently there is an issue where VMM will continue to use 8KHZ conversion format after upgrading a RepWin 2.1 server to version 2.2.

Let me know if these incidents are really fixed, or if you still have problems. I appreciate the read me! I must ask a little bit more details on voicemail speaking smtp directly to local machine. How do you know this? Do you know the exact process from recording to outlook, b/c this is something I've been curious about? Just a thought... maybe we should start communicating via email and not flog the forum, what do you think?

I agree re: Email. I had wondered that in my last post. What's your address and I'll send mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back