Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing video over the internet, What is needed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTesla

Programmer
Jul 19, 2002
US
I have a customer that has a computer that is used to running his security cameras off of. He also has a computer that they use for POS. He wants to be able to view the output of the camera over the internet. What does he need to be able to do this? Can it be done with windows media player or real one or other software? Is their special hardware he would need? I am aware of what he will need as far as networking goes. I have not done anything as far as video goes so I'm new here but willing to learn.

The camera's are currently hooked and operactional, just not viewable across the internet.

NTesla -

I have started a similar project for my company, but I've tried a few different things. Hopefully, you will be able to learn from what I have suffered^H^H^H^^Htried. You will probably need a static public IP address at the site with the cameras, unless you do something where the viewer dials-up the cameras. What I tried was a pc with a camera from Trackercam ( using our remote offices DSL connection to connect to from our main office on a T1. I also stuck TightVNC (Free software from on the machine. The way that they work is you can connect to the external IP, enter a password and see the camera images (TrackerCam) or the machines desktop which you can view the cameras on (TightVNC). The advantage of the TrackerCam and CamPanel software is that it lets you pan/tilt/zoom, so if you don't need that save your dough.

The problem we had is that since the images were running over the public internet they were too jerky for our president's taste even when we bumped up our DSL speed. Obviously, your client's mileage may vary.

Hope this was helpful,

Mike Simone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back