Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing Fonts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sladewilson

Programmer
Feb 14, 2002
US
Is there an easy way to view the font face for the fonts I have without having to open each font one by one... I mean... is there a way to view what the font looks like in a sort of quick list? I have 2000 fonts... how do you guys manage this sort of stuff?

Personally, I stick with as few fonts as possible, but the only way *I* know of previewing fonts is maybe to open another program that has built-in previewing in the fonts list and just scroll through the list until you find what you're looking for...

For all the features Photoshop has... I can't believe they overlooked this one. I'll do what you said.... just install some simple program that displays font faces. Thanks for the tip.

In the right hand column of the font list provided by the drop-down menu are samples of each type face.
If you have over 2000 fonts, i would recommend some font management software anyway, as having them all activated must result in some issues with system performance. I'm a mac user and use font agent pro, this lists all my fonts, allows me to associate specific fonts with specific projects, and instantly provides previews of each font.
It also switches off all my fonts by default (excepting those which i leave on) and activates them automatically when a file requests them. This is a great piece of font management software, significantly better than xtensis' suitcase and comes highly recommended.

I don't know about previewing fonts in the font list. (I think it might be an option in Photoshop CS2, but I've got CS so don't know for sure.) But you can preview the text in the document window. First type the text, then highlight what you've typed (you can hide the "highlight" by hitting Ctrl+H,) then highlight the font name in the font list. Now use the arrow keys to cycle through the font list. You should be able to see the letters change fonts in your document window.

HTH!

Get PS CS2. It allows for preview of the font face from the drop down menu.Or do like Kandsuk said, use another program that has that feature available. I use PS CS and I use Microsoft Word to view my font faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back