Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing, editing records without the full version of Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

hphock

Technical User
Apr 10, 2002
US
We are a small company and I created an Access 97 database to keep track of equipment maintenance and calibration. We currently have more computers than employees to run the tests, write reports, etc. I am looking for a cost effective way of allowing an employee to enter data, edit data and view calibration data in the database. Is there an alternative to upgrading Access to 2000/XP buying multiple Access licenses? I have been out of database programming since 96 or so.

Do you have licenses for excel? If so you could export/link the tables to an excel spreedsheet. Depending on the size of the database this could get messy though.

Other solution you get the solution pack/runtime version - not sure if they still have this for access or if this is exactly what it is called. It allows you to create an excecutable out of an access db so you don't need all those licenses. Hopefully someone else who has used this tool can help enlighten us a bit. [sunshine] Scott Musich
Database Analyst/Programmer

THe runtime software is in the Developer edition, which typically costs about twice the price of the professional version (the one with Access in). So it's cost effective if you need multiple instances.

Be aware that there are issues regarding split databases, which need careful thought before you create the runtime version.

I've used the Access 97 version. It's available for XP, but I haven't bought it because frankly it's a bit expensive where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back