Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing Deleted Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

magezi

Programmer
Mar 2, 2000
UG
How can I look at deleted Files from my NT server ?
These could be files deleted from work stations from the server they are not found in the recycle bin.

Nkabirwa Sowed Magezi
nkabirwa@netscape.net

A Ugandan Developer for

(1) School Management Information System(SMIS) - Foxpro 2.6 ; Ms-Acess 97

(2)Debt onitoring System(DMS) - Ms-Acess 97

(3) The Loans Recovery System(LS) - Ms- Access 97

(4) The Dry Cleaners System(DS) - Ms- Access 97

You can't. One of my complaints about Windows is that Novell has had Salvage.exe since version 2 or 3...why didn't NT add a similiar command.

Get a copy of Executive Software's Undelete.
You can buy and download from
It sometimes even gets back files deleted before their software was installed.

Glenn

I would be rather unhappy about having my deleted files scanned by my network manager . . .

Not neccessarily embarrasing. Might be sensitive information - payroll etc.

'Restore' deleted files perhaps, but just 'look at'? Uh-uh. That's not right.

Let me get this straight: If a user deletes a file from a network drive it does not go into the recycle bin? The recycle bin only receives files which are deleted from the server console itself? This appears to be the case from my own testing.

As a former Netware admin, I got 'oops' calls almost weekly from users, and salvage never let me down. Often, I had to ask the user which dated version of the file they wanted back. Since being dragged over to the dark side, I am still being amazed at the lack of functionality in NT, and amazed even more at the marketing genius that allowed this inferior product to overtake a real network operating system. Oh well, I'm sure they fixed all that in 2000.
Thank you, Glenn, for the link. Looks like another add-on to make NT do what it should do itself.

HCEONETMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back