Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing archived email without having access to GroupWise

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuashraf

MIS
Dec 4, 2006
US
I have copied all of my archieed email onto a CD. Since then, I left the company, and have no access to GroupWise, how do I view my email. Thanks

That's the thing about GroupWise. It's EXTREMELY secure. Encrypted and stuff like no other. It's not like Exchange where you can dump all your confidential business documents into a PST and then take it to the competitor.

To do what you want you'd have to have a cached copy of your GroupWise mailbox on your PC, and then access it, then go to your archive. Without that you'd need to connect to the live database which I'm guessing is out of the question.

Even if you were to fake it by creating a dummy groupwise system (we do this type of thing for Forensics all the time, granted we are highly trained in the art of GroupWise), your fids won't match up which makes it even more difficult than you can immagine to try to get the archive into an accessible format.

Good luck.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Marvin's right, without a mailbox to associate that archive to you're not going to get any usable info from that CD. The security of GroupWise is extraordinary.

great the way people see this as a limitation

pst - a 2 year old with google can break and people like it

just dont figure

We're doing more and more with email security, retention, compliance, etc....

The legal implications here are huge. For the ex-employee, this sucks because he wanted to keep all his old email, contacts, etc. For the company that owns the GroupWise (or any other email) system, having an employee take their mail with them could be seen as a MAJOR threat. How much confidential information is in there.. Company secrets, proprietary stuff, customer data, financial records?

And if the confidential data was easily accessible and got into the wrong hands, there could be some major problems for that company and possible prison for the ex-employee.

Some people may see the encryption and security of GroupWise as a limitation, but those people are usually ignorant to what security really means. Usually people think security is only related to their firewall but they are very mistaken.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Especially since the email does NOT belong to the user, it belongs to the company. If the company wanted him/her to take the email home, the IT department of that company would have helped. You don't just "copy" stuff and take it home.

Janis

Janis Tomasone
Senior Computer Programmer/Analyst

If I have access to GroupWise, and a Server, but my account is locked, would I be able to view my archived email on the CD.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back