Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing a Crystal Report XI document from VB 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ribbons

Technical User
Apr 26, 2007
US
Hi all,

I am using VB 6.0 to create an application and need to display a Crystal Report XI document from inside the application. I understand that there should be a Crystal Report Viewer Component (.ocx) that I should be able to place on my form, but I have been unable to find this.

My VB 6.0 is using service pack 6.0. This will be a locally used report and form, not on the web. Any ideas where I can get this? Businessobjects.com seem to have only objects for use with .NET.

Ribbons

Also, be aware you need to have a Developer version of Crystal in order to use the RDC components in your application.

-dave

Thanks, guys. I'll have a look at the articles.

How would I determine if I have a "developer's" version? The help menu, about, says I have a "professional" or "full" version. Is that the same thing?

Ribbons

Nope, Professional is NOT the same thing.

There is standard, pro, developer and some other thing...

So you don't have the licensing.

Why not just use the Crystal Reports Server that comes with it to immediately deploy in a web based evnvionment?

-k

Dave said:
Where have *you* been?
Trying to keep my head above water, k, which ain't always easy.

Since my role here switched from report developer to application developer, then to THE ONLY application developer, I've been maintaining our big fat program now. I've got a cadre of minions to do all the silly reporting stuff. It's beneath me now ;)

But, of course, they still have to come to their master for guidance once and a while... that's what led me here today (to no avail, unfortunately).

Maybe I'll stick around again if it looks like there's a need. But since I'm still stuck in VB6/Delphi-land, I don't really have any knowledge of value for the .NET peeps.

Hope you've been well, and that you haven't lost your touch inventing torture methods for incompetent DBA's. Drop me a line sometime.

-dave

Sounds like you're right where you'd like to be.

I did 10 years of screen hanging,have about 11 languages, and will never go back to coding.

I like db dev and reporting, more complex, and higher visibility.

Now it's not inventiveness for torturing dbas, they command it from afar, I am simply the messenger ;)

Good to see you about.

-k

This program was ordered for me by the powers that be (and apparently aren't in the "know"). Sigh. I'm afraid I'm woefully ignorant at the moment about web-based work. This is a simple VB6 application from which I want to view a CR. Any workarounds???

Kathy

Kathy, since you are focused on triggering report viewing from within VB6, and since you don't have developer, a fast solution is to purchase a 3rd-party report viewer (see list at: that has a command line api.

My DataLink Viewer is 1 such viewer. Here's a code example of triggering a report preview and specifying a parameter value. Note that double quotes are "escaped" by using
"" instead of "
Code:
Dim RetVal
ls_temp = "c:\Program Files\DataLink Viewer 9\DataLink_Viewer_9.exe " & _
"-v ""c:\temp\Lab2_Chase.rpt"" ""Parm1:800"""

RetVal = Shell(ls_temp)
- Ido

view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back