Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadewilson1

Programmer
Sep 10, 2002
US
I'm trying to create a new column derived from another column and I am having trouble doing it.

I have column 1 that can be 1,2, or null, if it is 1 I want it to display A, if 2 then B if null, then display column 3. I tried the following code, but it doesn't work at (not surprising)

SELECT DISTINCTROW PEOPLESOFT_ID, Department, CategoryText, ProductID, TotalRawScore, TotalRawGoal IIf([productid] = '1', (IIf([department] <> 'Lost Stolen', '', [department]), IIf([productid] = '2', IIf(([department] = 'Lost Stolen' OR [Department] = 'Fraud Detection'), [department], ''), [department]))) AS DepartmentEx
FROM dbo.VW_QASCORES_EXCLUDE

What database are you using? IIF is not a function that Microsoft SQL server uses. Look up the Case function in Books ONline instead.

I'm using MSSQL Server 2000, when I try to create the view, it tells that the CASE SQL construct is not supported. Any suggestions?

IIF is a Microsoft Access function. CASE works in SQL Server 2000, I use it quite often.

How about posting your code with the CASE statement? Maybe there's something wrong with the way you put it together.

-SQLBill

Here is what I have in the Query Analyzer:
SELECT PEOPLESOFT_ID, Department, [Date], TotalRawScore, TotalRawGoal, ProductID,
DEPARTMENTEx = CASE WHEN (ProductID = &quot;1&quot; AND DEPARTMENT = &quot;LOST STOLEN&quot;) THEN &quot;LOST STOLEN&quot;
WHEN (ProductID = &quot;2&quot; AND (DEPARTMENT = &quot;LOST STOLEN&quot; OR DEPARTMENT = &quot;FRAUD DETECTION 1&quot;) THEN &quot;LSRDET&quot;
ELSE &quot;UNIVFRAUD&quot;
END
FROM dbo.VW_QASCORES_EXCLUDE

From your code, it appears you are using PEOPLESOFT. Are you sure it's using MS SQL Server? I know our PEOPLESOFT programs have changed to ORACLE.

-SQLBill

The PEOPLESOFT_ID is just a column in the table, it resides on a SQL Server 2000 box.

Thanks everyone for you help, I finally got the view created. It appears that on the 2nd WHEN, I forgot the closing parenthesee.

I also ad to change the double quotes back to single quotes.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back