Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

view only certain fields in form

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteninja

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2007
TT
Hello all
I am doing a form where i have a combo box for departments. i only want certain fields to display for the relevant department how can i do this?

I would create a table to store the Departments and controls to hide or display. You could then run code in your form to open this table to the appropriate department and loop through the controls to set visible properties to True or False.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Sounds Logical but i'm not sure of the coding

If you want someone to write the code, please create the suggested table and fields (with professional naming convention) and provide the information to us. I would also suggest entering "SHOW" in the tag property of every control that might be hidden.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

On this is a template i modified. there is the customer details form with sub forms for the department for each complaint i want directed to a specific department i want the relavent details for that department only to display. will i have to create separate pages for each department. the departmants are from a dropdown list if possible on selection can i get this result

Hope i dont break any rules in sending this file

i appreciate all help i can get
THANKS

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zamsv1trc73x9n2/KPL%20CUSTOMER%20SERVICE.accdb
Sorry My Mistake its the case details form. when i select category i only want some of the fields from the special fields table displayed

all the fields in the "special fields table" will be hidden for one department or the next on the "case details form" when i choose a field from the category dropdown. Hope this helps

I have twice suggested you build a table the stores which controls should be displayed or hidden based on the category. Have you created this table or do you think you have an alternative solution?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I created that table after you suggested it. the part i'm not clear about is how to make them hidden based on the selection of the particular category

Is that you want two tables? one with the categories and the other with the specifics for those categories?

I would have a table for categories and a table for category/controls with a yes/no field for display. A table of unique controls wouldn't hurt. You should build and populate these tables and then come back with the table and field names.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back