Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View in different size windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonym29

Technical User
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Can you set up a page in Dreamweaver so that the information is looks the same when viewed on browsers with different resolution screens?

Thanks Tony.

Hi Tony, I am no expert but hopefully this answers your question. Do u use firefox webdeveloper toolbar. If so this has a resize tab that you can set to different sizes.

You can and basically all pages should work this way.
Whether they are fluid, which means the expand and contract with the size of the window, or they are static, that is they have the same dimensions always regardless of screen resolution.

Specifying dimensions will keep the page static as it will always need to be as big as you specified. This of course means that space not used up by the websit in larger resolutions will be empty. either as bars to either side of the page, or a single bar on one side if the page is not centered.

If you want a website that grows or shrinks with the size of the window its in, and thus with the different screen resolutions, then fluid design where you use percentages, and take into account sections that may grow is what you want.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Vacunita

How do you change these settings please.

Tony

Its not really a setting, its in how you design the website.

Give your website defined widths, and they'll adhere to those width always.

For example:
Code:
[red]<div id="main_content" style="width:600px;">[/red]
[green]This will hold the website's content and will always be 600px wide. Regardless of what screen resolution you are using while viewing it.[/green][red]
</div>[/red]

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Ok I think I understand, but how do you achieve this in Dreamweaver. The on options I can find relate to screen sizes?

Tony.

Go to The Text Menu, and then to CSS Styles and create a new one.
You'll get a window with all the design options, including height and width. Once you've set everything up, then click on Save and done and then right click on the element you want to assign the dimensions to, such as a "layer" which is what Dreamweaver callas DIVs like in my example above.

Select CSS style option and then look for the style you just created and click on it.

Additionally I suggest you look into CSS web design, and HTML coding. If only to understand what Dreamweaver does.

As it would be much simpler to just write this in Code view then go through dialogs.

Phil AKA Vacunita

OK

Thanks for you help

Regards Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back