Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View exported FW logs? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

achilleus

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
US
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Is there any software that I can use on my workstation to view the exported FW logs? I tried opening one and it was full of boxes and other characters. I want to be able to review old logs at my workstation and not have to use the FW machine itself.

AJ
SA
HS

Are you sure that you are looking at EXPORTED logs and not the actual .log or .alog files? The reason I ask is because I have never had this issue when I have exported the logs. They are plain text then. They are also stored as test when you use FWLOGSWITCH.

Scott [pipe]

there are a cople of ways of getting FW to export the files in text format, i have a couple of lines of script that i use to do this. i can email them to you if you wish or display them here.

get back to you on monday..

Thanks so much for the replys.

The logs are from using the "Log swtich" option in the Log Viewer. Some of them do appear as text files; but they are not readable.

Would be great if you could post the scripts you have Yardyy.

Thanks again!

AJ
SA
HS

Here is the script that I always used before. It switches the log daily and creates daily backups of the files.

for /F "tokens=1-4 delims=/ " %%i in ('date /t') do (
set DayOfWeek=%%i
set Month=%%j
set Day=%%k
set Year=%%l
set Date=%%i %%j/%%k/%%l
)
set CurrentDate=%Month%-%Day%-%Year%
c:
cd \winnt\fw1\4.1\bin
fw logswitch %CurrentDate%
fw logexport -i %CurrentDate%.log -o E:\logfiles\fwlogs%CurrentDate%.log
fw logexport -i %CurrentDate%.alog -o E:\logfiles\fwlogs%CurrentDate%.alog

Scott [pipe]

If you use a NOKIA box that uses Ipso then you can use the procedure below. You have to get onto the NOKIA box via telnet and then do the following

cd $FWDIR
cd log
/opt/CPfw1-50-02/bin/fwm logexport -i /var/opt/CPfw1-50-02/log/"name of log file.log" -n -o "the exported file.txt"

eg.
/opt/CPfw1-50-02/bin/fwm logexport -i /var/opt/CPfw1-50-02/log/2003-04-16_150155_3.log -n -o 2003-04-16_150155_3.txt

you may need to look at your directory structure it may be different from what i have.

once that is done, you will have created a .txt file that you can then by FTP transfer the file to another computer and then analyse as required.

if is still not clear, i will try to help you all i can..

I just found the article that i used, it is from netiq.com either search for ID Number 5691 or click on this
How do I export Check Point FW-1 log files?

Article ID: NETIQKB5691 First Published: June 5, 2002
Last Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Affected Environments
Security Reporting Center WebTrends Firewall Reporting Center
WebTrends Firewall Suite

Solution
To export Check Point FW-1 log files, follow these steps.

From the machine on which the firewall is installed, access a command prompt.

Change to the directory where the fw.exe file is located.

Enter the following text to export the fw.log log files.
fw logexport -d ; -i fw.log -o[log_path]\fw.log

Enter the following text to export the fw.alog log files.
fwlogexport -d ; i fw.alog -o [log_path]\fw.alog

Note: If the firewall is running on Solaris, you do not need to put in the command -d ; as it is already configured to do this.

_____

Hope that helps

hi,

can you tell me how to make a detailed logfile where i
can see more information?

i want to make a report where i can see the top-users (internet surfers) (bandwitdh)

mewi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back