Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View dvd on TV 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDA

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
US
Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to view DVD movies on a regular TV with some connection to my laptop? I have an IBM T21 which has fire wire and USB slots. Is there a cable that I can buy that would convert the signal?

Thanks,

MDA

You need a vid card with tv out, only way i know of

Unless you have an S-Video port on the laptop. If you do and your TV has one, all you need is an S-Video cable. Most newer 27" and larger TV's have an S-Video port.

I dont support any manufacturer or website in particular and I suggest you do your own research on prices and alternatives etc but I will provide this link as a place to start. this shows that what you want to do can be done even if your laptop doesnt have a TV OUT...

Check with IBM or your manual. I could have sworn the T series IBMs came with a TV out cable. I do know the 600 series did and the T series is the replacemant for the 600 series. There should be a mini connector on one side of the computer (it was on the right side of the 600, near the audio out ports.). There should be a cable that came with the computer that converts that small port to a RCA style jack...

I just checked the IBM HMM for the T series Thinkpad and all T20s, T21s, T22s, and T23s do have TV out. You will need the cable that converts the mini port. If you do not have that, I would contact IBM about obtaining a replacement. The IBM part number of this cable should be 27L0531. That should be all you need.

Hey thanks everyone (especially tep0583!) There is an S video out on this laptop! If I had the manual it would be so easy! No special cord required.

Thanks again

MDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back