Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View Data on Screen - Suppres when printing 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

wld1957

Technical User
Feb 3, 2006
US
I have a formula that I use on a report. I want to be able to view the data on the screen but suppress it when the report is printed. I have tried several things under suppress and have read through all of the forums but have not seen anything like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bill \

Using CRXI: I have been trying this using the common tab under the X-2 for the suppresion option, but have had no luck.

The only way you might do this is to place a parameter up front which states "Report for viewing or printing?", and then suppress/filter according to the response.

Once the data is in the report, you must rerun the report to eliminate data.

So create a parameter of type boolean, set the default to false, and use something akin to the following in the suppression:

{?MyVieworPrint}

Youshouldalso considerusing it in the record selection formula instead asit will prove faster and return less rows to the report.

-k

The workaround I've used for this is to print the field in the Tool Tip section and not on the report. It requires the user to mouseover the field to see it, so it's not as convenient as you're asking, but it will prevent it from being printed on the report.

Right click on the field, format field, common tab, click the x-2 next to Tool Tip Text and do CurrentFieldValue in the formula (or ToText(CurrentFieldValue) if it's a number).

Not perfect, but it's what I use to protect SSN's or account numbers from being printed.

Barkley--I like this idea (*), but I think you'd have to use it conjunction with "display string" where you would enter text to identify what's in the field, e.g., "SSN". Or, maybe a better option would be to use the tooltip with the SSN on the person's name, for example. Maybe that is your approach...

-LB

Thanks Barkley564 for the tip, it worked really well. I also took the display idea from lbass and to have it read what it is and the number from the formula. It worked great. Thanks again for the help....

The use of tooltips was covered by a Crystal whitepaper a few years back, but I really like LB's addition here, making it a bit slicker, * to you both!!!

Unfortunately most of out clienhts won't accept that sort of interface, meaning that they have to remain logged in for that information, so parameterizing the report front end suits the needs better, butit is a slick useof the feature and I have implemented it on occasion.

There are also other posts here which have touched on this in the past.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back