Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View dat files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fayero

Technical User
Sep 23, 2001
US
What is the best way to view the contents of a dat file like user.dat or system.dat? I need to find a product key for a program which I had installed. I can not locate my original sleeve with the product key on it. I had saved my user and system dat files prior to re-installing WinMe. Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Robert Dodson
Helping YOU Achieve Success!

Open the .dat file with Microsoft Notepad, at the very top, the first characters could tell you what kind of file it is. (Example: .doc) and alot of odd characters, you must then rename the application yourfile.doc. If you cannot see those characters at the top, try the bottom right hand side of the file. In extremis case where you cannot see any extension, try a few kind like .doc,.xls,wpd,jpg,gif,zip,exe,pdf.

Also, if you have the application called quick view plus, that is an application that you can view alot of types of files that you can't see. Let me know if that helps you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back