Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View and forms 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jona

Programmer
Oct 15, 2001
AR
I enter two types of information on two separate forms with the only the "casenumber" field being shared on both forms. In a view I would like to merge the different sources of information to a single row. What is the syntax and can it be done.

As far as Notes is concerned, it's simply a matter of indicating the field to be represented in the column of the view. Create a column, then set its value to that of whichever field you want. In terms of selectively bringing two groups of data together, it's best to create separate views for each, then a third view that programmatically combines elements of the two. For example, you might use DbLookup to pull a value (whose first column, say, matches a particular 'casenumber') from one view. then do the same for the other view. The problem with this approach is that it's computationally expensive. You're better off placing all of the columns you want in one view (with 'casenumber' as the first column), categorizing, and formulaically hiding columns that you don't want displayed. "One fish, two fish,

Red fish, blue fish."

I've had problems using DBLookup's in Views. Can you provide a sample?

Unfortunately, you can't use Db commands in views. What I'm suggesting is to create a form with fields that do the DbLookup's for the two views, then create a third view that pulls in values from this form.

form1 --> view1
form2 --> view2
view1 + view2 --> form3 --> view3

I think my earlier post was unclear on this point. My apologies. "One fish, two fish,
Red fish, blue fish."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back