Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

View Access Database Custom Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckBMD

MIS
Mar 15, 2001
US
Need some guidance here please.

We have written a scipting utility to change Access database schemas we have deployed in the field. The utility also adds a new custom property to the database, which denotes the scipt name, the date it was run and the success code (i.e., flag).

We know the properties have been added, because we can enumerate and interrogate them via code. However, they are NOT visible within the database's custom properties dialog box.

Any ideas why these custom properties are not viewable?

Our other alternative is to have the utility create a history table and append a record each time a schema change script is run.

Thanks for any assistance you may to offer!

BuckBMD,

What you have ran into is something that I have ran into before and dealt with: there are several sets of properties in Access, and you have to make sure that you are saving and retrieving to/from the correct set.

The following will both set properties on a database:

CurrentDb().Properties(strPropName) = varPropValue

or

CurrentDb().Containers!Databases.Documents!UserDefined.Properties(strPropName) = varPropValue

HOWEVER, these are different sets of properties, and only the second statement will set properties that are accessable by the user via File-Database Properties-Custom.

Hope this points you in the right direction... I have a module that can send you that handles all this property stuff smoothly if you want it.

Steve

Steve;

Thanks! Let me give it a try. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Thanks for taking the effort to reply.

BuckBMD

Steve;

Thanks! That worked great.

I appreciate your help.

BuckBMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back