Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

video teleconferencing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregster1

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US
Hello,

I recently had a VTC system installed by a contractor. We are having difficulty terminating and initiating video calls.
I have a G3si running Rls 1.1.3. The configuration is as follows:

A PRI from the pbx to a Ascend imux 3000 provisioned for 6 channels the balance are OOS.
From the IMUX to a Tanberg 6000 codec.

I can dial out directly from the IMUX and watch it dial up a bonded 384K connection and the IMUX appears to be happy.
But when i go back to the codec(Tanberg 6000)and try to dial the same call it almost never completely established a call, yet the IMUX shows all 6 channels connected.
On those few occasions i only get voice with no video. and after the call appears to be up i start getting corrupted data messages. Again i never get any video.
I get these same conditions rather i call a loopback number or a actual system.

My question is because the inter-connect between the pbx and the imux is a PRI is there any special provisioning that needs to take place in the pbx to allow a video call to correctly operate?

Also when i do a list trace to watch the imux dial i only see it seize one member in the outbound trunk-group.
But when i watch the IMUX dial i see it dial all 6 channels.
one at a time until all 6 are bonded together and get a ONLINE status.
Shouldn't i see it grab each trunk member as it dials? Or is the last 5 channels transparent to this trace?
I status the trunk and see all member active.

Also is there any 1-800 number video loopback numbers that are available for testing?

Sorry for rambling.

Any feed back would be greatly apreciated

Mike,

I'm running Multivantage 1.1.3

Regards,

Greg

on the switch side, is the tanberg hooked BRI or DCP.

Mike,

Are you talking about the segment between the ascend and the tanberg?
Thats not a BRI connection. It uses the RS-449 connection (I could be wrong on the RS protocol) off the ascend and then connect's to a a matching set of eastern researh video line drivers.
Which in turn connect to the tanberg. We have the pri comimg from PBX set up to act like a PRI coming from a LEC which then connects to the ascend imux 3000

Please note: I have 2 systems that connect back to the ascend. one is a tanberg and the other is a polycom unit. I get the same syptoms with both units.

Regards,

Greg

Why are you using the Ascend? Why not terminate the PRI directly to the 6000?

-CL

I need to be able to encrpt my video and data before it goes out onto the PSTN.

I failed to mention the encrption device sits between the ascend and the tanberg. This device is currently bypassed to eliminate it from the equation.

Regards,

Greg

I agree. However it doesn't meet DOD spec's

Can you call from local unit to local unit to eliminate the LEC temporarily? Also, be sure the itc value in the route pattern is "both" and not "rest".

-CL

Due to the design ( it was never built to two site up at once) i not able to call my other location. I have a a/b box that i switch between my other site.

I did check my route pattern. It is provisioned like you mentioned.

I'm at a loss here. I hate to have the tanberg vendor show up to find it's my pbx that having the issue.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back