Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video stuttering w/ XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxrainer

Programmer
Jan 10, 2002
US
Since installing WinXP (I know!), all my video stutters about every 2 seconds - that is, DVD, SVCD, even the screen saver!
Can any of you tell me if that is common w/ WinXP with:
Tyan 400 MB, 667mhz, 512 MB memory, ATI AIWpro AGP

I tried viewing an MPEG1and2 clip (which is on this same computer) via LAN from my portable, which also has WinXP, and had absolutely no problems.

Any idea? BTW, I have my BIOS set to 2x AGP, but tried 4x without any differences.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rainer

Remember, in the old days when ATI cards had problems with alot of mother boards? And you had to go and get the latest BIOS that stated it corrected ATI video card compatibility problems? You might want to make sure your board has the latest BIOS and drivers and like rjkrash stated check for the lates ATI drivers. They are starting to release drivers regularly now which is something they didn't do well in the past. Always try and keep your hardware and software as up to date as possible. But make sure you do your research first.

Too true, I had to flash my Abit GF2MX400 as well just to get windows xp to install! Then I had to flash my mobo-bios as well to get rid of the NV4_DISP.DLL BSOD problem...

But now all is well :)

Thank you both for your help.
I did download the latest drivers which reduced the amount of stuttering. It still exists, but then again, I am thinking of removing XP until they have an SP1, or maybe SP3. It has too many problems, too many opt-ins.

Thank you again
Rainer

One more thing. What's the wattage on your power supply? Maybe it's not supplying your video card with enough juice. I know it probably works fine with Win9X but XP is a different beast all together. Also how old is that mother board? It's just a good possibility that you would have to upgrade that in order to get the results you want from XP.

Power supply is good, 250W. MB is fairly new, w/ updated BIOS.
I guess, all in all, I am just unhappy with WinXP. I have 5 computers in my house on LAN; I have a hard time understanding why I need to pay for each computer's OS when I only use one computer at a time.

Oh well, live and learn
Rainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back