Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video RAM on old cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwbarbieri

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
US
Everytime I check out an older video card, the "Basic Display RAM Size" seems to be 256K, while the "Texture Memory" can be 512K or 1MB. I'm trying to define these two terms for memory, and relate them to the total memory in a video card. Most of the cards I'm looking at are from the early 90's or late 80's.

Anybody know where I can find out more information, or care to comment?

What is "Texture Memory" vs. "Basic Display RAM Size" vs. "RAM" on the video card?

I read webopedia's entries for video and video RAM. None address the particular terms in a way that distinguishes Texture Memory vs. Video RAM vs. Basic Display RAM Size.

One person has suggested the following (I tend to agree): Basic Display RAM Size is the amount of memory needed just to paint a 2D picture on the screen. Texture is the 3D effect on top of the 2D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back