Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video problem 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

oholloway

Technical User
Apr 20, 2005
US
This has been an ongoing problem for me for the last couple months.While I am surfing the internet,typing, or doing nothing at all, the video to my screen simply blanks out.NO blue screen,no warnings, no errors, just typing,typing and then bam,it's gone.I looked in event log after the computer rebooted and there's this message: NVIEW : WINWORD: WAIT_TIMEOUT, while waiting for a read to clear - resetting read event.It's not always winword,sometimes it's rundll,iexplore,spysweeper or explorer. It really doesn't matter what it is,when that event happens the video blanks out and my only option is to reboot.This happens anywhere from 3-10 times per day.My question is what is causing this and how can I fix it.Thank you.

It could be lots of things. Have you checked the hard drive for errors? Have you tried a different video card? Have you checked for malware?

Can you post the exact error message? Double click on the event and then use the button to copy to your clipboard and paste it here. The extra info may help!

Sorry for the delay.I've been busy with school and work.As far as the hardware goes,the HDD and vid card are most likely fine because I just purchased them a couple months ago.I'm not 100% sure but I don't have another card or drive to test them with.I'm 99% sure there is no malware or spyware problem because I have spysweeper,adaware,ccleaner,and spybot and they all are the latest versions and have the latest definitions.

Here is the exact message but like I said before the actual program that causes it varies from event to event.For example in the log snippet below it appears that WINWORD caused a wait_timeout but it has also been RUNDLL,IEXPLORE or EXPLORER.

--------------EVENT LOG START--------------
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( nview_info ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : WINWORD: WAIT_TIMEOUT, while waiting for a read to clear - resetting read event
---------------EVENT LOG END-----------------

NVIEW relates to NVidia Graphics Card driver software. In the first instance you should visit the Nvidia website and download the latest drivers for your model of graphics card. Apply the latest drivers and see if it helps the situation.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

I have the latest Nvidia drivers already.My Forceware version is 71.89.I have a GeForce FX 5700LE.The drivers were applied a couple days ago but it has still shut down several times since then.

I believe nview is only necessary for an expanded desktop or for dual monitors - so you might try disabling nview from loading (it might be in the startup items in msconfig) -- or possibly do a custom install of the driver set that doesnt install nview. you can disable it just for testing.

also, maybe try uninstalling the drivers altogether and manually update the actual graphics card driver from device manager using the driver setup folder, which would prevent any other extra utilities from being installed.

Do you use any kind of dual monitor configuration? If not then you could just disable Nview as it is not an important feature of the driver set.

Start > Run > type services.msc > scroll to the Nview entry > Double click it > Stop the service and set it to disabled.

Now see if you get any problems. This could be an indicator of hardware problems, most likely some kind of driver problem though.

Greg Palmer

On my 5200 Vidcard, "Nview" is the setup and maintenance program to allow the settings to work. I think that deleting it would not allow the board to function!

The main graphics functions work fine with Nview turned off, the only time you would come across a problem is if you either use a second monitor/TV out, or if you use the advanced graphics settings such as colour correction etc..

If you are literally using the card a your monitor interface then you can work fine without it.

Greg Palmer

Thanks Greg, I do have to use "color correction" on this monitor. That's why I gave the answer I did. I'd like to get rid of the need to use correction, but a good working Dell 19" monitor (with a slight <correctable> red tinge) for $50 bucks, seemed too good to pass up!

I do run dual monitors and a TV(not all at the same time).I have a Viewsonic G773(1280x960) and a NEC Multisync LCD1550M(1024x768).I like to switch between dual monitors when I'm working and sometimes I output to the TV and one monitor.I diabled Nview in the display properties prior to posting on this forum but no luck with that.Also I looked for the entry you mentioned in services.msc and I couldn't find nview,only "nvidia display driver service".

A few thoughts.
I'm wondering if there is a problem with your video card - even though it is relatively new. Does it have a fan on it? If, so, is it clean? Is it running okay? Do video processors shut themselves down if they get too hot? Does anyone know?
I assume you have tried re-seating it in case that's the issue?

Another thing to check up on...

was there ever another GFX-card installed on the system?

because older drivers can cause havok, if not deinstalled properly...

Download this progy and run in SafetyMode:
remove any Drivers including the new nVidia drivers, then reboot and reinstall the Forceware Drivers...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Th video card fan is clean with no obstructions and the card itself is firmly in it's AGP socket.There was another GFX card installed on the system before this.An Nvidia Geforce MX 4000.As "BadBigBen" suggested I removed nvidia drivers,rebooted in safe mode,ran DriverCleanerPro,rebooted,installed fresh new drivers but still same old story.I've also found I cannot run any 3D screensavers because it will instantly restart the computer.Could it be a PSU issue?I have a generic 300W PSU and many prehipherals(webcam,printer,card reader) and internal drives(3 HDD,DVDRW) and cards(TV tuner,USB2.0,etc.).Could this cause a video card to just give out?

Have you tried the Dxdiag.exe tool?

DirectX: Description of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Dxdiag.exe Does Not Report AGP Texture Acceleration
810772 - Dxdiag.exe Does Not Report AGP Texture Acceleration

How Do You Know You Need a New Video Card?

I ran dxdiag and it says "no problems found" on all tabs and all DirectX and AGP acceleration options are enabled on both displays.Here are the results of the log:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/25/2005, 01:35:58
Machine name: SOYO
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

(2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: VT8366-8233
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz
Memory: 768MB RAM
Page File: 453MB used, 1423MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found. DirectDraw test results: All tests

were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D

8 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 9 test results: All tests

were successful.
Display Tab 2: No problems found. DirectDraw test results: All tests

were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D

8 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 9 test results: All tests

were successful.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5700LE
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0343&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 960 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Viewsonic G773
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7189 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 4/1/2005 16:16:00, 3980288 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 4/1/2005 16:16:00, 3454656 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4003-11CF-A57F-0A2000C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0343
SubSys ID: 0x00000000
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5700LE
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0343&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: NEC Multisync LCD 1550M
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7189 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 4/1/2005 16:16:00, 3980288 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 4/1/2005 16:16:00, 3454656 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4003-11CF-A57F-0A2000C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0343
SubSys ID: 0x00000000
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the long post but I thought this information might be useful.

Oholloway - Yes to your question: 'Could it be a PSU problem?' with a 300w PSU your system mostlikely is underpowered (the FX 4000 uses way less wattage than the FX 5700)... my suggestion use at least a 400w PSU, seeing as you have a lot of PC cards and IDE devices hooked up...

btw. does the FX5700 have an extra power connector? if so have you attached a power plug to it?

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back