Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video outputs on laptops 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Why are video outputs on laptops almost always on the left? When you add a second monitor as an extension, it is almost always to the right of the laptop so the cable has to bend round from the left of the laptop to get to the monitor. Sometimes, it makes the arrangement quite difficult because of the width of the [ignore][/ignore]laptop.
Code:
 __________________ to monitor
|   _________
|__*         |
   | laptop  |
   |_________|
Is it something to do with the layout of the PCB or is there no reason whatsoever?

Each new model / variation of a laptop is just a few tweaks on from the previous version.

Just putting a connector on the other side is a major investment for the manufacturer, which would be a cost passed onto the consumer in a very price sensitive market, especially at the low end.

I guess the logic went like
- most people are right handed
- most people mess around with dvd's more often than the ports
- put the dvd player/recorder on the right
- put the ports on the left

OK, your laptop no longer has a DVD player, or maybe it does.

But all the tooling, design, manufacture is baked into the original design philosophy.

Moving the port involves everyone in the supply chain, from PCB manufacturer, chassis and casing.

--
If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.

Makes sense - I think the laptops ports were better laid out when the connectors were round the back.

Dock is an interesting idea. I wonder how much power a fully populated dock takes and whether the USB on my laptop can hack it. May have to add external power.

That is quite a pricy dock - even the ones from the laptop manufacturer are only half the price. The problem with generic docks is the cables tend to drag them to the floor.

or double-sided tape; 3M makes some pretty strong stuff

SamBones' first link allows for external power, i.e., it's USB-C socket can be connected to wall-wart to even charge your laptop, assuming it's compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back