Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Newbie; What card is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenG

Technical User
Mar 20, 2000
US
I purchased a generic PC a couple of years ago with the intention of hooking up my DirecTV tuner to the video card included in the deal.
Well... I've forgotten what I have and lost any information on what I bought.
Here's 3 pictures of what I've got:
Can anyone give me any information on what I have?
Thanks in advance,
Ken

This is a basic TV tuner card.
Yes the "F" connector is for a direct connection to a cable or antenna.
The BT858 is the part number that you need if you are looking for drivers.
This card may work with your video card, as a TV tuner window. But not for recording programs. It has no Mpeg encoding capabilities.

Thanks for the quick replies.
Now I'm really confused. Do I run coax from the tuner box to this card and then run S-Video back to the TV?
Or am I better off with a splitter - one to the TV, one to the PC?
Thanks,
Ken

Use a splitter. The Svideo is an input for the tuner card, not an output.

Well after thinking about this for a while....I'm beginning to think that I might want to buy a TV card that will record. I've looked around a bit, and I'm becoming swamped in information about PVRs and the like.
Are there any good web sites or FAQs out there?
Thanks for all your help,
I'm sure you'll hear from me again...

Without a doubt I would recommend the Hauppauge PVR250 (non-MCE version) for recording.

Thanks a lot, I've been searching and seem to come to the same conclusion about Hauppauge.
Thanks again,
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back