Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

video issues with VIA chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

glw6160

Technical User
Mar 28, 2001
US
I recently upgraded my PC with an athlon motherboard and AMD Tbird 1.2 ghz CPU and a radeon 32LE AGP video card. The MBD is using the VIA chipset. With the new video card I am experiencing frequent, random lockups. ATI's website has this posted as a known issue and they recommend using the latest driver. I have tried that, and still have the same problem. I tried using my old video card, a Voodoo 3/1000 PCI card, and with that card, my monitor looses the video signal at random(screen goes black, power light blinks). Most of the issues with both cards occur when I am using an application using any type of 3d grasphics, but they also occur at other times(I.E. on the 'net). Does anyone know of any software patches to correct these issues? I would really like to be able to use the new AGP card, but if I can get either one to work, I would be happy.

I've had issues with the older VIA chipset. Try hitting VIA's website and downloading the 4in1 Chipset patch. It resolved most all of my video and performance issues.

Nope, not the issue. Tried that, didn't work. Next idea?

Hello..

Are you using VIA KT133 chipset? or some older chipset? have several boards from VIA with chipsets like KT133A, 693A & 694X (for intel), however, I'm using vidcards from NVdia.. no problems though..

i read about motherboard that hav AGP slots not driving enough power for the cards to work.....

I've used both a Voodoo 3 3000 and an ATI RAGE 128 pro on a Via chipset board; I had to disable shadowing of the Video BIOS in the BIOS, and allow the BIOS to let the Video card have its own IRQ.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back