Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video issue with MS database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2001
CA
I have a client for whom I do network and hardware and so was asked about an issue that is out of the area of my expertise....

The client has a video issue with a new database that is being designed for the office network in Office 2002.

Question was:

"Is it possible to set the video display to an individual database separately on each computer?"

One of the systems that must run the database will not open it properly, the display settings for the forms apparently is not supported by some of the older hardware.

In the old days of DOS we used to just edit the shortcut and set parameters....I figure it must be possible.

Any help most appreciated.

Kimber

Hi Kimber,

wouldn't the users at different machines would want to use the same database - sharing the data? But have access to a different 'form' to display it?

Also are you saying that the older equipment doesnt have a graphics card / monitor that can handle a higher resolution needed to get the entire database 'form' on screen? If this is so, there are two options:
The database front-end - the 'forms' would have to be re-designed to fit on the lowest spec machine.
Upgrade the graphics card and/or monitor on the older machine.

You could also do what the client suggested i.e. split the Access database into two - the 'forms' in one, and the tables (data) in the other.
Then re-design the 'forms' so that they fit on the older machines display and put this version on the older machine.
Put the original 'forms' version on all newer machines, and all machines then connect to the tables version on the central machine/server.

Does this help?

Sounds like a lot of pain in the neck.
I was told there is coding that will allow the forms to be autoresized to the resolution on the front end PC.
Was hoping for a fast fix, if not it will be a hardware upgrade.

Thank you for your reply though, good to post how these things work at a little deeper level than most end users are aware.

K

I was just reviewing some information, and realized that I did not post any feedback for you.
I am not normally that rude/ungrateful! I apologize. For technical clarity, a quick video card upgrade on the two affected machines solved the issues.

Thank you again for your assistance!

K

Hi Kimber,

no problems! Thanks for updating me with the outcome.

Glad to be of assistance.

Regards,

D

David,

Versatile Design UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back