Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Edit Programme Will Not Connect To Web - Windows XP Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevsim

Instructor
Apr 18, 2000
AU
I have a Video Edit programme and when it starts it connects to the companies server and provides help information while using.

I have Windows XP Pro SP3 installed along with Zone Alarm Free firewall and Avast virus checker.
This used to connect when loading but does not anymore.

I gave the programme an exception in Zone Alarm and Windows firewalls, but still will not connect.

I shutdown Zone Alarm and Windows firewall switches on, still will not connect.

I close down Windows firewall and it will connect most times, switch Windows firewall on will not connect.

Switch off Windows firewall switch on Zone Alarm still will not connect.

It appears Windows is the culprit but where to look?
I have heard some of Microsoft’s updates could be causing the problem.

I would appreciate any advise on how to track down the problem.
kevsim

Zone alarm and Windows firewall running together?

try turning off the services - not just the switch in the GUI.

Do you not have a router with a firewall built in?

Personally Im not a fan of software based firwalls, as they tend to cause more hassle than they are worth - esp in windows!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Posthairlessupportmonkey,
Thanks for the reply.
Zone Alarm switches off Windows firewall when running, if you shutdown Zone Alarm it switches on Windows firewall, as we all know, no 2 firewalls to run at the same time.

I assume the router would have a built in firewall, will have to check.

In services I stopped windows firewall and disabled Zone Alarm, the same problem exists, sometimes the programme connects other times not.

kevsim

Posthairlessupportmonkey,
Thanks for the reply.
Zone Alarm switches off Windows firewall when running, if you shutdown Zone Alarm it switches on Windows firewall, as we all know, no 2 firewalls to run at the same time.

I assume the router would have a built in firewall, will have to check.

In services I stopped windows firewall and disabled Zone Alarm, the same problem exists, sometimes the programme connects other times not.

kevsim

Have you tested without ZA and Windows Firewall (both turned off)?
then add Avast to the picture as well, e.g. turning ALL three off, or EVEN uninstalling both AVAST and ZA...

some AV software comes with a build in firewall, or parts act as a firewall...

@HSM,
the only software firewall I ever had problems with is ZA, once uninstalled (turning off did not suffice) everything worked as it should...

since those days, I've personally used Comodo, and nary a problem there...

I also like to know if something tries to phone home, Windows Firewall does not tell you nor does having "No Firewall"...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I gave the programme an exception in Zone Alarm and Windows firewalls, but still will not connect.

I shutdown Zone Alarm and Windows firewall switches on, still will not connect.

I close down Windows firewall and it will connect most times, switch Windows firewall on will not connect.

Switch off Windows firewall switch on Zone Alarm still will not connect.

Seems to me the Firewalls don't have the correct exception set; perhaps its trying to use a blocked port or something.

Have you looked in Event Viewer see if there's anything about the software attempting to sue a blocked port when either firewall is on.

You can allow connections through ports one by one until you hit the correct one.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Thank you for the advise.
I disabled Zone Alarm and from services switched off windows firewall and Avast, still same problem.

When running with Windows firewall only it never gives an alert even if the programme is removed from exceptions.
I used to receive alerts in Firefox but do not see them anymore.

There is nothing in Event Viewer.

Is there a registry key where the blocking takes place?
kevsim

The firewall should have an option to allow ports. Allow all ports and see if it works. I'd try with Zone Alarm first while keeping Windows Firewall disabled.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Where I am at the moment.
I have uninstalled Zone Alarm, stopped Avast and Windows firewall from starting.
On the Modem/Router have I have allowed my computer to be exposed to the internet.

When I start the programme around every 3rd or 4th time it connects, I switch on Windows firewall, connects around every 3rd or 4th time.
Switch on Avast, there is no difference.

Put the modem/router back to normal and switch off windows firewall, will connect around every 3rd or 4th time, switch on the firewall will not connect.
Put an exception in Windows firewall, will not connect.

Every thing is pointing to something in Windows SP3 (some of Microsoft's great new security settings) causing the problem.

kevsim

In the Windows Firewall, when you added the exception, did you also free the ports associated with the application?

I would suggest, that you delete that exception, then reboot, then add a new exception and navigate to said problem program. Once that has been done, go and add port exceptions...

since I do not know what video editing app that is, I can't tell you which ports to allow, etc....

one other thing I would also attempt, would be to deactivate IPv6, to see if that makes a difference, some older hardware network devices do not play nice with IPv6...

Ben

BadBigBen, thanks for the reply.
In the Windows Firewall, when you added the exception, did you also free the ports associated with the application?
Q/ How do you find the ports that are associated and how to add?

since I do not know what video editing app that is, I can't tell you which ports to allow, etc....
Q/ The programme is Video Studio Pro X4.

one other thing I would also attempt, would be to deactivate IPv6, to see if that makes a difference, some older hardware network devices do not play nice with IPv6...
Q/ Where do I find IPv6?

kevsim

1.) how to open ports:

Open Ports in Windows Firewall

How to manually open ports in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP

2.) working on that still...

3.) in a console (CLI, shell, CMD) type the following and then REBOOT:

netsh interface ipv6 uninstall

to reinstall type:

netsh interface ipv6 install

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back