Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Display Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Nov 26, 2001
ID
I have an old PC at home,

Pentium 233 MMX
Motherboard ATX
VGA on board artX
128 mb memory (shared with VGA)

When I using for typing or making drawing is not that bad.
But when I try to watching movie, it's look dark (not bright enough).

There is a way how when I watch the movie it is look bright enough ? I try to using software with brightness and Contrast control but it won't works.

Thanks a lot.

If your monitor has run out of adjustment (can't get the display bright enough) then it's down to the video control panel to see if there are Gamma adjustments to lighten the image.
You might need to buy a cheap used graphics card which has drivers known to have such control, something like an old second user Nvidia TNT2, early ATI Radeon VE or similar (both of which use drivers that have these adjustments built into the control panel software.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thank Martin,

But the "more" problem is I did try to install an PCI VGA adapter (SIS 6215) but look like my mother board (ATX) do not allowed to disable onboard VGA.
The VGA is recognising by windows(that mean my windows 2000 recognizing 2 VGA Card) but when I try to Install the driver for it (SIS 6215) windows became conflict.

Please give your idea on this.

Thanks

The settings of the brightness , contrast, and gamma for the video window is not the same as for the rest of the display. They are called Overlay controls. Have you googled on the web for ArtX graphics drivers? I see several places. Maybe you can find utilities to set the controls of the overlay window for Win2K.

Hi Felixc,

Have any idea where I could get that overlay utilities ?

Second thoughts:
If what you are saying is, even in windows desktop, monitor adjustments (briteness and contrast) are turned on full to get an acceptable image then it is possible to re-adjust internal monitor controls to gain briteness.

First of all the WARNING! the adjustments involve removing the rear plastic cover to the monitor, even when unplugged there is a potential for high voltages stored to give a fatal shock, only try this if you are competant to do so.
There are contrast, brightness and focus adjusting knobs and even sometimes primary colour adjustments, usually clearly marked so the correct adjustment is made.

Typically the smallest movement of the adjuting knob is required to make a drastic differance in briteness.
Start off by setting the monitor brightness to it's 50% setting (on the front of the monitor) now adjust internally until you attain a natural britness level (which will mean you have further front panel adjustment if you want to go even brighter in movie)

As I said be very careful and only attempt these adjustments if you are qualified to do so.

Martin

Hi,
My monitor is looks fine when I am using it to typing or draw.
The brightness problem is came out when I try to watching movie.

when I try to watch movie with media player or another player software,pictures looks too dark. When I try to set the brightness with that software, it won't works.

This isn't news to you that Artx is old stuff and that they don't exist anymore. All you can do is use Google to see if anything can be found. There are sites dedicated to utilities and drivers. It depends on the OS that you are using also. Tough luck if you are trying to use XP.

There was no diskette or CD that came with your machine, and that you happened to keep? Or if you can identify the make and model of your motherboard, if the manufacturer still exists you might have access to the software utilities that they provided with it. Or this model number can be used as a keyword for Google searches.

Quote:
My monitor is looks fine when I am using it to typing or draw.
The brightness problem is came out when I try to watching movie.
Still think the best option would be a second user Nvidia or ATI card.
TNT2/ Radeon32 or newer so you have good driver support.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back