Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank4d

Technical User
Nov 5, 2004
US
I have an All In Wonder Pro 9800 Pro TV card and my sound is onboard Realtek AC97. I am using latest ATI and Realtek drivers. I have noticed the sound is delayed by about 1/2 second behind the video... very annoying seeing people's lips move and then hearing what they said 1/2 second later. My TVs connected to the same cable do not have this problem. Any ideas?

Hey, You bet, really annoying... I had this when playing DVD's a couple of years ago....almost ended up being thrown off the Deck!! As I recall, this was a software sync-ing problem (*read that as driver), but took me way too long to solve trying to get all drivers talking the same stuff to each other, at least at the same time.

Are you using MCE?? paparazi & I had similar problems recently with drops, delays, etc... mine was/is a cable signal issue. No problem with over the air signal but on the cable///bad...wound up piping cable through a VCR tuner and using that out to the PC/TV card. Not eletrical enough to know what this does but it worked. Something to do with the digital video signal and a quasi digital sound or something that I didn't understand.

Hope this gives you enough to experiment with. Find some results report back with what you determine

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I am using XP Pro and this was working for several months until I downloaded some Hotfixes from Windows Update. When the computer rebooted I had no sound at all and Device Manager reported no sound card installed. After reinstalling the latest sound card drivers, I could play CDs, but my TV program for the All-in-Wonder 9800 had no sound. So, I installed the latest TV card drivers and applications from ATI. I have have had this problem since.

When I get some time this week I will try the old sound and video card drivers.

Don't ya just love the win update thing...

Can ya try either a lat known config before you hot patched, or remove(uninstall) the win fixes back to certian date?

We all know that some can be removed while others are not removeable after they are installed.

rvnguy

I may have found the problem after a few Google searches. The latest ATI software has a component named "ATI T200 Unified AV Stream Driver" that seens to cause similar problems for others with All In Wonder 9800 cards.

ATI drivers are not easy to remove and reinstall. I have tried the ATI Un-Installer (which is mostly useless), and tried Drivercleaner (which is mostly useless too). They both leave crap behind. May be time for a reformat and clean install. :(

This ATI 'unified' driver thing sounds very similar to the NVidia driver suite; One driver release for all cards and also has problems with some older cards.

Glad that you traced it. Was going to recommend something along this line, but knowing the advice you have given and that you stated that you had the driver base covered I did not.

rvnguy

Problem Solved! I spent most of the day yesterday tinkering with ATI 05/24/06 drivers and apps, some from January, and even the original CD from 2004. Nothing I tried would fix the delay problem.

Then it occurred to me that I didn't have this problem before I removed the card and installed a Zalman VF700 cooler in January (it fits after modding with a Dremel tool).

Anyway... I moved the AIW 9800 Pro audio cable from the sound card "line in" connector to the "microphone in" connector and the problem is fixed.

Yeah, and isn't this supposed to 'plug 'n play' ???

rvnguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back