Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Conferencing using Definity ISDN BRI ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Definity

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2001
IN
Hi All,
I need to know whether someone has ever experianced running the Video conference on the Definity. I have Definity G3si V8 & has ISDN PRI lines coming to the system on the DS1 interface, I have installed the ISDN-BRI card & connected one of its port to the Video conf. equipment (Polycom) though I am able to see the port connected & inservice/idle but am not able to make any video call thru the ISDN-PRI trunk.
When I make a call I hear a ringback tone on the VC equipment, I can see the PRI port connected to the equipment extension as well but the other end equipment never goes off the hook to accept the call. The remote end recieve the ring on the system but the system never connects the calls .
This was a suggeston I threw up in the last management meeting & it would be a sorry situation for me if the setup doesn't work.

Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.
:-(

Hi,
As common recomendation you should make aar or ars call and into the route-pattern in ITC field set unrestricted near by your PRI trunk route selection.

How have you set up your BRI port? I assume as data module. Make sure you have set default ITC to unrestricted, also check your country protocol. Or did I get your question wrong?

for troubleshooting purposes get the other end to make a call to you and also try calling another VC Unit.

roche

Thanks all for your responses,
I have Defined the BRI port as Data Module of type 'WCBRI' The ITC is set to Unrestricted, both for Data station & route pattern But the VC calls are not happening.
I'm using the setup differently & has an ISDN PRI T1 coming to me wherein I don't have a dedicated no. for this T1, the no. set in PSTN switch is for other 4 T1's as well wherein the call might land on any of these T1 also. I am looking at this solution primarily for outbound calls only because of this reason.
I have connected one more VC equipment for the test on the second BRI port & the VC happened within the Definity, but the outside calls over the T1's are not happening. The reciever only get a contineous ring tone & the caller(me) recieves a connected state on equipment without any communication.
Pls help..:-(

I think you should use station extension wcbri type - not data module.
I am using station wcbri with
XID-n
Fixed TEI-n
Country protocol - 1
Endpt Init- n
1-Step clearing -n
On the last page of station form you assign datamodule extension.
In route-pattern make unrestricted trunk.
In this configuration my Picturetel Live100 equipment is working over T1/ E1 (ISDN-PRI) trunks.

P.S. If you make data-module (not station wcbri) you may have no audio channel connected,
may be you will have only video.

These are the settings we use on a Definity G3rV9.5 & it works with no problems at all.

1) Wiring:pair 1 on frame connects to pair 1 in floor port. Pair 2 on frame connects to pair 3 in floor port.
2) Route pattern tables: TSC should be set to y & CA-TSC should be set to as-needed
3) Station configuration: Terminal type = WCBRI Country Protocol = etsi Data = y
4) Data ex configuration: Default Duplex = Full Default Mode = ASYNC Default Speed = 19200 Default Data Application = M2_A Data Module Capabilities = Unrestricted

Do you have a PRI on the network side?
Who is your PRI provider?

Some providers, including AT&T, need you to set-up a WCISDN billing account to allow for data\ISDN calls, since they bill at a higher rate.

When I'm back in my office on Tuesday, I will be happy to send you the configs on how we are set-up on both PRI-Trunks and BRI-Stations. You also have to set in ARS each ISDN number you are calling and classify it as a data call to shut-off echo cancelling.

Thanks Guys,
I have configured my station as the wcbri & placed a call but the result is still the same, I can only hear the ringback tone in my polycom & the other side gets a continous ring on their VC equipment, inspite of the equipment configured for auto answer. I am connected with MCI worldcom on ISDN PRI & I have a confirmation that my trunk is Video enabled.

Pls help... :-(

May be you have some problem with channels compatibility.
Try to make test calls to different locations, here the numbers
of some test video equpment in the world:

in UK +441753723821 (the same number on both B-channels)

in Belgium +3220099999 (the same number on both B-channels)

in USA +17007347330 (1st-B-channel)
+17007347331 (2nd-Bchannel)

May be you will see different results in cases of different calling numbers.
Regards

Make sure you do a "status data {extension number} to see if the port is ok.

I believe the problem is in your ars route. When the Definity sees an outbound data call being placed by your BRI port it will reject the call unless you have the correct setting in the ars route. wcbri and pdm are considered data to the Definity. Try the following:
Call the video number assigned to your data port internally and see if you get a modem squeel. If you do the switch port is OK. Now trying dialing the number externally, using the DID number. If you get a squeel you have your port set up in voice mode. If not your ARS routes are wrong.
To force a 64K call the ars route should have the 0 BCC VALUE field on the lower portion of the form set to no. This also then requires that the provider of the IDSN allows 64K calls. They may also further require that you send specific ANI numbers to allow video calls. You would set this up in the "change isdn puublic" screen. If you ever have a spare moment try and install video. You no longer have ANY spare time!!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back