Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video card 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallie32

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
GB
I am after recommendations for a good Video card with TV out and S-Video in.
At present I am using a AGP nVidia Geforce4 MX 420 this does not have S-Video in and the TV out is crap.
My operating system is Windows XP
Any suggestions welcome.

ATI All-in-Wonder cards are great for this, though it might be a bit overkill for your needs. If not that card, then consider the ATI 64MB DDR Vivo. I have that card and the in/out features work great! ATI uses a better capture component that Nvidia's GeForce2 and GeForce4 line.

Keep in mind that the resolution on your TV is not as good when compared to your monitor. It's not uncommon to see fuzzy text or blurred images. You have to play with the output settings to minimize the loss of quality.

Also, if you plan on playing newer games, you may want to make the extra investment for a Radeon 8500 or 9700 All-in-Wonder.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Personally I would recommend a Leadtek Winfast A280 TD My ViVo or the A280 LE TD My ViVo, these are the 4600 and the 4200 but with 8X AGP (they are backward compatible for 4X Motherboards)
The A280 TD My ViVo used to be way out of most peoples price bracket but because of the immenant release of Nvidia's new FX they have dropped drasticly in price,
I just picked one up for £155 in the UK, probably around
$180US (you get your bits cheaper than us Brits)
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Take a look at this awesome Gainward card:

I personally would steer clear of ATI, upgrading the drivers is such a pain in the rear. Been using ATI since 98 @ work for various capture purposes, but for games and movies (at home), stay with the Geforce4TI... Your GEforce4mx420 is simply an upgraded geforce2 core... not even as fast as a geforce3, let alone the geforce 4 titanium.
I aslo had a ati7500 in my IBM laptop.... it took several months (MONTHS I SAY!!) for ATI to release a driver that cleared up my bugs in Neverwinter Nights (big fat square in the middle of the screen). To boot , they released the driver covertly through Microsoft Windows Update. Sneaky too!
Dual vivo also gives you a lot of versatility.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back