Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Card Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

civilwar123456

Programmer
Jun 6, 2005
CY
I want to buy a video card and specificly a 256Mb ATI Radeon 9800se AGP Videocard. In the specifications it says that you have to connect the video card directly to the power supply. I have an Asus P4P800 motherboard. Does anyone know how this work? Thank you.

First, your MB's AGP slot is compatible with that video card.
Second, yes it's your power supply that has to connect one of its power cables to the video card to supply it with additional power. So before buying the card, make sure it comes with a Molex adapter cable for this purpose. It should be a Molex-by-4 pin adapter(or similar).
Also, your power supply should be at least 400 watts to properly power the card and other components on your system. The watt rating will be shown on a label on the PS.

It means that the card needs more power than the AGP bus can supply.
So you have to connect it to the power supply with an available molex connector,just like your hard disk or CD-ROM.

Also, your power supply should be at least 400 watts to properly power the card and other components on your system.

Rather than relying just on the wattage rating you should look at what amp rating each separate voltage rail on the PSU is rated at. I have seen cheap 550W Power supplies which don't offer as much power as more expensive 400W PSU's.

Secondly, why that particular card? The 9800se is a crippled version of the 9800Pro, i.e. it is only 128-bit memory interface rather than 256-bit (if I remember correclty).

Thanks everyone for the help.

addy: Well i have no specific reason for the 9800Se, i never gave much attention to Video Cards. I'm open to suggestions :)

Well, it does depend on what you will be using the card for. If you are not a gamer then the 9800se is a perfectly decent card for general applications.

However, if you do play games at all, I would look for the 9800Pro if possible.

Although this is also 'old technology' now as it is 2 generations behind the latest video cards.

The very latest cards are the ATI X1800 series of cards and the NVidia 7800 series but these are really only for hardcore gamers.

The previous generation to this though are very good cards and are coming down in price - look for the ATi X800Pro or the NVidia 6800Gt.

Like I said though - if you don't play games the 9800se should see you OK.

Or if you go a step lower, since it's not a gaming machine, a Radeon 9600 or 9550 will not need an extra power cable, as its power consumption is much lower. They interface to the highest resolution displays as well as the higher-end ones. It still plays many 3D games very well.

civilwar123456
I guess at around the same price as a 9800SE (SLOW EDITION) nickname lol, you could have better cards:

ATI: 9700PRO yes faster!/straight9800/9800PRO all faster
maybe newer X700pro/straightX800

Nvidia: FX5700ULTRA/5900/5900XT/5900ULTRA or newer
straight 6800

All faster and better
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I have the ATI All-in-wonder 9800 Pro (I got it because it has a TV tuner). The power connector is 4 pins same type as on a 3-1/2 floppy drive, and it does come with an adapter for the larger Molex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back