Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video card problems\ windows erros

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloth8817

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
US
Ok, running windows xp pro and jsut installed Geforece4 mx 440se agp video card, installed all the drivers form the cd and all of that. Installed a new game and whe i load the game the screen is fuzzy and distorted, after about a minute the pc either freezes up completely or i get a blue screen error either saying error with MEMORY_MANAGMENT or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. odd problem since geforce is supported by windows xp, although when i installed the drivers from teh cd it said they were not certified =\ any help is appreciated thx

I would try the new drivers from the card manufacture. Let us know what you find.

1zman

Already installed the newest -drivers for my vidoe card, this only started happening after i installed this video card. Also it only happens when I run games or anything that relies heavily on my video cards 3d capabilities, I checked the nvidia FAQ page, it said it can be caused by 2 devices sharing the same IRQ so I checked my devices and my modem and video card are both on IRQ 10, can this be the source?

I am also having problems with a Geforce4 MX 440. Mine is a 64MB card from eVGA. This is my situation: AMI bios gives me a post error of 8 beeps and then freezes. The problem is intermittant (3 out of 5 times), but seems to function properly if it boots. This is supposedly a video memory read/write error. I have been trying to track this one down for a number of weeks and have tried the following - chkd for adequate power supply, cleaned vga contacts with a rubber eraser, reseated board, moved board to different slots and a couple more that I can't think of right now. I got all these suggestions from various tech sites and the newsgroups. I am currently playing with AGP and memory settings in the BIOS but it is strictly trial and error and I ain't too fond of "Easter Egging". So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do Civil Engineering and video editing work so my computer is my life. My setup is as follows.

MSI 6380 MB with a 333 Mhz FSB.
AMD Athlon XP 2000+.
512 Mb DDR RAM.
3-120 GB WD IDE drives with 4 additional IDE drives on the Promise card.
Lite-on 52x CD.
Promise Ultra 133 TX2 comtroller card.
KTI KF-230/TX2 10/100 nic card.
Creative AudioPCI (ES-1371,ES-1373) sound card.
PS/2 mouse and standard keyboard.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I anxiously await your response(s)...

sloth, change the irq for one of your devices (either vga-card or modem) to another irq and then let's see if your prob starts to disappear....

K, will change card in a minute, need to shutdown comp

Moved my modem to differnt PCI slot, now its on same IRQ as two ther devices but my video card is alone. I'll let u know if it crashes again

SchiskaMeister

Have you tried a different card? Perhaps the memory on your current card is marginal.

Am I reading correctly? You have seven (7) IDE drives in your system, plus a CD-ROM? Hope you have a HEFTY power supply for all that load.

Be careful playing with the BIOS settings. Write 'em down before changing anything...

I apologise to start with, I have a question, and I am not sure where to post it.
I purchased a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 so that I could have 2 120GB HDD attached as masters, then I installed my Bootable HDD on the motherboard IDE1, DVD Writer on IDE 2, with my 2nd optical drive on IDE1 as Slave. The intention was to create faster DVD burning speeds, less errors, and on-the-fly burning. I have updated the driver/BIOS for my controller card. The opposite happened. It is disturbing to realize that I was able to burn a DVD in approx. 15 min using Nero and now it takes approx 1 hour!
I wanted to boot from a floppy and restore a Norton Ghost image, but I can't boot from a floppy with the card installed. I can't remove the card because my system hangs when verifying DMI Pool Data. I have actually "down-graded" my system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you - Artizen.

I have used this board in several boxes, and like it. Test results if you are interested:
1. Go to the Promise site and download and extract the newest driver set;

2. Boot from your XP CD. You need to do a repair reinstall to get the drivers loaded properly:
When it prompts to hit F6 to load SCSI or RAID drivers, do so, and insert the floppy disk with the new Promise Drivers.

Thank you very much for this information. It has provided me with the instruction to resolve the issues I was experiencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back