Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

beyondsociety

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
I have a old video card that is a ISA slot card and it won't work in one of my old machines. I swaped it into a newer computer with the same slot, attached the monitor to it and it booted up fine. I was able to see everything on the screen.

But for some reason it won't work on my other machine. It boots up fine, and I get no error beeps telling me somethings wrong. Nothing shows up on the screen.

Does anybody know why this is so?

Make sure the ISA bus is is installed in Device Manager under Systems. I had a similiar problem with a PC not seeing an ISA card and this was the problem. I had to add the ISA bus under Add New Hardware in Control Panel. I'm assuming you have WIN95 or 98. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I tried putting it in another slot in my machine and it didnt work. I would try this, but since I can't see anything on the screen I don't know if the computer has booted up or not.

Is there any other way around this method? What else could be wrong? Could it be my memory is not in the right slots on the motherboard?

Has this old PC ever worked? Is the keyboard lighting up? Do you hear a post beep? Try your RAM in different slots. Try one stick at a time. Make sure all cables are seated good. It may not be goung far enough to see any video card. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Yes it worked. I had to replace a bad power supply with a new one. After that it didn't work!. I then found out I had a bad video card and so I replaced it. Yes the keyboard lights up when the computer boots. It will only work if the memory are in pairs. I checked all cables and reseated cards. The computer starts up but I never hear the one post beep. The speaker is connected.

What could be wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back