Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video card burnout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mon0L1th

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2005
US
I recently bought a sapphire radeon x1300 for the new comp i was building. Everything was fine for about 20 minutes until i started seeing pixels not showing up properly (mostly in grid like lines, seemingly random on the screen). I know its not the monitor. Upon further inspection i noticed this card runs really frikkin hot...and all i was doing was loading windows. I then tried this card in my other comp, and the same thing was happening. (After that the PCI-E slot on the other comp doesnt seem to be functioning.)

So my questions are:
Is there any way to return this card to normal? Whatever damage that it took is minimal, there is nothing visibly wrong with it.
Has anyone heard of PCI-E slots acting this way? Is there something i can do so i dont have to buy a new mobo?

Hi Mon0L1th,

That card has a passive heatsink on it, so there is no fan on the card to help with cooling. You should probably check out some fan/cooling options.

- dc

well it will be watercooled once it runs stable. But even stock it should last more than 20 minutes doing nothing. My current watercooled GPU gets to the 60deg C mark when its busting its butt, overclocked from 400 to 450mhz.

I'd not try fixing it but take it back.

The answer has always been 42

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back