Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video capture to compressed drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegooddale

Technical User
Oct 17, 2004
AU
Hi, I was wondering if it was at all possible to capture video to a compressed ntfs drive in windows xp.

Cheers.

Possible? - yes
Reccomended? - not for analog capture

What kind of capture card do you intend on using, and from what source?

I am going to capture with firewire from a dvcam deck. Although I am starting to think that perhaps, instead of compressing the whole drive, the best thing to do would be to capture a small piece of footage, then just compress that captured media file with the ntfs compression. Then capture a bit more, then compress - and so on.

Just throwing an idea out, see if it sticks, as I've never played with HD compression.

Can you partition part of the HD and leave it uncompressed as a transfer disk?

From what I gather, using a firewire deck source is really a digital transfer, not really capture.

But never having done it that way, my thoughts are that you might get it to transfer OK, but working with the video would be a royal pain in the buttocks.

Is this your primary and/or only drive?
Compressing everything on it, especially your OS, will slow your system down significantly.

A few hours of your time is probably more valuable than an additional hard disk! [sleeping]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back