Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video and Voice Transmission from behind WinXP Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirewallXL5

Technical User
Jan 11, 2003
GB
I am using Windows XP (Home) and Windows Messenger v4.7.
I have two software firewalls. These are WinXP (built-in) version and Norton Internet Security. I have found information on the net for opening up some of the relevant ports in WinXP to get messenger working, but the ports are not really specific to video and voice, they are more 'file sharing' enabling. I have set RTP streams using UDP ports in NIS to allow access over ports 5004 to 65535. With WinXP F/Wall disabled at both ends of the conference, but NIS active at my end everything works OK. With WinXP F/Wall active and NIS active or deactive the connection fails. It is apparent that WinXP F/Wall is causing me problems, despite the fact that it is supposed to be UPnP (universal plug and play). I can't find any information on how to add the ports 5004 to 65535 into WinXP F/Wall (unless of course I do it one line at a time and I don't think I will be doing that.) Does anyone out there know how to configure WinXP F/wall correctly so it will allow full video and voice. Or have missed something far more obvious. Your help would be much appreciated.

Have a mix of those 2 firewalls is looking for trouble.
Work without the Xp if you use the norton one. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

Thanks for your response. I had infact, after much banging of head on wall, come to the same conclusion. Using Nortons on its own is fine. To be honest the more I learnt about firewalls as I tried to resolve my problem, the more I realised that the XP version is so basic that it just doesn't provide the sort of manipulation required to get the messenger to work properly. For what it's worth: Nortons does the job and very easily too.

Thanks again.

Hope your head is ok ;-)
At least, you got the results. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

I have similar problem to what FirewallXL5 described above. I in my office has a broadband router (that support UPnp). All our Windows XP can use the Windows Messenger without any problem via this broadband router. However, we can't use the video conferencing with external parties over Interent. There is nothing need to configure in the broadband router that for the video conferencing. I also found there is nothing can be configure in the Windows XP. anyone can help?

What do you mean with:
"There is nothing need to configure in the broadband router " ?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back