Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video, 3D Accelerator Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennDuck

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2001
US
Video, 3D Accelerator Problem

Built new computer

Installed MSI K7T Pro 2-A Main board, VIA KT133 Chipset Based. With AMD Athlon 800, and 256 Mb of PC133 RAM

Installed Video card AGP ATI Rage 32 Mb 128 platform (could not get 3D Accelerated to run)
Installed different Video card AGP 64 Mb GeForce 2 MX 400 (Same problem, could not get 3D Accelerater ot run)

When starting game demo it will not load. Information on screen says CANNOT START ACCELERATED DIRECT 3D 6.

Process to date:
Installed latest driver from VIA for AGP chipset.
Installed latest driver from ATI for Rage Video card.
Uninstalled Rage driver and removed Rage card.
Installed GeForce Video card and drivers.
Installed latest driver for GeForce from nVIDIA web site.

I Would Appreciate any Help you can give. Thank You!

Following information from DXDIAG

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/21/2001, 16:36:15
Machine name: Glenn Beaty
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10, Build 2222) A
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer:
System Model:
BIOS:
Processor: AMD Duron(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~800MHz
Memory: 254MB RAM
Page File: 91MB used, 1702MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)
DX Setup Parameters: /PackageInstall
DxDiag Version: 4.08.00.0400

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: The file nvdisp.drv is uncertified, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs. You may be able to get a certified driver from the manufacturer of the hardware device.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No input devices detected.
No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: MSI MS-StarForce 816/817/818 (Nvidia GeForce2 MX)
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type:
DAC type:
Device ID: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0110&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_B2\000800
Display Memory: n/a
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit)(optimal refresh rate)
Monitor: TRL/RIC DL-1750MU
Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
Driver Name: nvdisp.drv
Driver Version: 4.12.01.0649 (English)
DDI Version: Unknown
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/17/2000 15:12:00, 92224 bytes
Driver Certified: No
WHQL Date Stamp: None
VDD: *vdd
Mini VDD: nvmini.vxd
Mini VDD Date: , 0 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4250-11CF-B063-00201DC2CD35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0110
SubSys ID: 0x00000000
Revision ID: 0x00B2
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Not Available
D3D Status: Not Available
AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result:
D3D Test Result:
AGP Test Result:

This repeated issue with Counter-Strike and the Geforce2 MX 400 64mb ddr does not look to be mother bd Manufacturer related, as I am using the Abit KT133A bd, I am also having an issue with running in full screen mode, it works fine in wondow mode i.e. -win in the shortcut command line.
It has worked on occasions and I am yet to reproduce the working conditions, I did notice the comment made earlier about the fact that they guy installed dxmedia again, I alos have just installed dxmedia 8a and I am going to do it again to see if it resolves it, Ill post again to let u all know what happens.
If any of u guys find the answer plz let me know.

The original problem with the user having the MSI K7T Pro 2-A Main board, on the MSI disk that comes with the Motherboard, there are separate drivers for use with the MSI MB, and the Nividia GeForce. I had the same problem, and downloaded coutless old and new driver, and once I had installed the MSI driver from the MB disk, it all worked fine (WINME - Superbike 2001 to be precise).

Let me know how you get one, I stumbled accross this page seeing if I could get an updated driver from MSI for the NVIDIA, cos it is slightly jerky. You may want to go to MSI yourself??

O.K. I have the same problem with Unreal Tournament.
I have a pcchips 805 mb with a duron800 128m pc133 AND
Nvidia tnt m64.
it all worked ok wit 98se. I've gotton and regotton al the latest drivers. Screen goes blank after the UT splash regardless of what video mode I choose. I did find out however that if I disable sound the game WILL play.
tried changing all the sound options to no availe.
My B-inlaw has asus mb with Diamond stealth and creativelabs 128 (completly different than my system) and he has the same prob. any advise would be apresh.

In response to JMeyer (Dec 11) I had a similar issue. In CMOS setup there is a "Boot from AGP or PCI" on some PC's. If you set it wrong that is PCI when you have an AGP card the system will not boot. Just put in a junk PCI video card and enter CMOS. Change it to AGP and save then as it is rebooting shut it down. Now put your AGP card back in and it should be fine. It worked for me.

go to VisionTek and download Detonator 3 Version 15.70 WHQL*
has got a certified nvdisp.drv

I have a computer that runs on windows XP and a video card that is nivida Geforce3 but every time I play a game such as return to castlewolfenstien it freezes about 3 min. into the game. Can you help me figure what the problem is please?

HELP!!!!!!
Start a NEW THREAD.......

When you start a NEW thread post ALL of your system information,,,,,
** SEE THE ORIGINAL POST **

Now, you don't need to post ALL that he did, but just
down to where he started his

DXDIAG part.

Also - what happens when you do run that ?

Please start a new post.

THE SOLUTION:

Yo all..
Darn it, I have the same problem (or had, yes I solved them all ;^D)
1. The pc crashes within 2 - 10minutes of playtime.
2. Graphics freezees totaly. Even in textmode and even once in Bios Setup!
3. Monitor did not wake up from suspend mode.
It seemd like tho card burned up or something.
4. That the 3d aceleration is not avalible..

Chronics over what happend (might help you guys):
My problems with the Gainward Geforce 2 MX/400, Epox 8kta2 Apollo KT133 card began a time when I was runing linux in
textmode, It just krashed, reason: unknown.
Booted into windose *boom* krash.. the graphics frezzes.. it All..totaly reason: unknown.
Then I couldent play Counter-strike it just krashed after 5-10 minutes.
Man I was scared. I had never before experienced a hardware krash.
So I did as all of you would do.
Start searching the system for errors, here and there nothing.
Installed the latest drivers.
Even if I knew it would not change the situation sence even linux krashed. (wich is very very unusual)
So I just fooled around with the system, a litle bit there a litle bit there.
And got an idea, wich fallowed:
1.Reset the motherboard
2 Flash it's bios (I found on their page that some "AGP bug fix thing)
3.Flash the grpahicscard too.
Tryed too do so.
So I began flashing cmos, got to the point where it just was left another percent and it krashes, in textmode, very unusal.
Man, what too do? Now I got nothin nothing at all. a broken bios system, a mobo that was inkomoptent to fire it self up.
Tried to put in an old graphics card in the ISA place and booted as I knew just must work sence that card had an biso on it.
It went fine. man was I lucky then.
And so I flsahed the bios sucesefully.
Restarted with the GF2 card now and guess if I was disapointed.
The monitor would not get on, just stod there in suspend mode.
Wier stuff happen.
What too do know it thouhgt?
Well booted the system to a dos prompt with the old graphics card with one megg and flashed the rom of Gf2.
But typicly me. did wrong. I flashed it with a rom image for Geforce GTS...
It would not work ofcourse (i dont know why but i passed the option to continue to flash it even if the vendor ID and some
other ID mismatch... now even worse, th whole darn machine went nuts dude I have seen anything like that in my life.
So I flashed it here and there erased the rom and put ut back on. Tried to start whitout an EEPROM image, just for fun :).
Nothing. Nothin at all.
I almost started to cry, man... This was the best system I ever had and now it was totaly messed up. :(
After several hours of thinki'n. I desided to flash it one more time this time acording to the instructions and my own
knowledge. Did so. Fired it up. -not working.
So I removed the card and flashed the bios one more time. Just for fun. That was all i could do with my computer now 8^/.
Then reinserted the card and fired it up.
Man was I suprised when it gave result.
Yepp.. the card was now working. reason: still unknown...
In bios I saw it stood 128Megg och agepture size insetad of 64. oh well.
whatever. Booted into windowse and it worked. It works right now. 4 hours witout some problems.
I've read here someone told he/she had an error on the 3d accelearion. So i run dxdiag and found out that something
was still missing.
I to got the error "3D not avalible" by dxdiag.
Hehe, well this was no match for me then. :)
A software/hardware error, if it is something I am good at its solving software related stupid problems.
Ofcurse what I needed too do was to install the VIAAGP4xxx driver in "normall mode".
But i did that wright after a reboot into bios and first lodad default optimazation, then changed
"Agetpure" size from 128 to 64, and disabled the audio (wicth does not belog to the subject but, who cares :). Fired
the system up (okey, not "the system"... lets say winblowse, a system is more like a pc machine runing linux :)
And did some tests with dxdiag again, just too check everything. After all this (note: I installed the
AGP driver after doing the thing with the bios) in "normall mode".
Restarted (wasent hoping for a change yet) so i didnt run dxdiag this time.
Instead fired up EXPERtool and disabled "3D aceleration" and "DirechDRAW" there, whit its program.
Under "Directx Information". and rebooted.
Then run dxdiag again, now it showed that directDRAW and 3D acceleration was disabled, the buttons where ded.
So just pushed the "Activate button and it did :)
Happy me...
Happy ending.
Made a test (pushed the test buttons) and it run like never befor :^D)
Ths problems solved and I even got a newer verion of the bios and a totaly reseted ROM in the graphics card.
Note: that the latest verion off the rom-image for the card is that one that I had previously, i didnt upgrade the card
just cleaned it out a couple off times, you can just erase it pull it out off the sock, insert it back in and flasht it,
ofcourse too do it this way is needed another card that works, like a PCI or even better an ISAone)

So the problem is not any driver or some other software like that. It is the AGP port driver (most likely),
bugues bios and a EEPROM on the graphicscard that got an error somehow.
I dont have the time to find out the Exakt problem and cause, ill leave that too the manufacturers, but
i do remebmer that I saw an "Offset error" on the graphicscard beging something with 0x containing a 4 :) .

So a have fixed all of the above mentioned problems, and know hot to fix them and know that the
fault is, not the anautrhoriezad file nor any driver nor either new rom-images :).
But sence I am too lazy to write an howto or likely I do accept an email containing your exakt problem and what and
when it exakt happend and I will answer it the best I can and am alsmout ahundred pernect sure that you can fix
the problem with this message and my personal help :)

Best reagrds and happy problem sovling :D
//Anto

hi!

i have excatcly the same problem with my secondary pc at home.
the thing is that it has been working with the same system in about 2 years.

System: operativ win2000, directx7.0 sp2 and so furth.
hardware: asus p2b, p3 450 Mghz, tnt2 Ultra and so furth.

They strange problem accoured when i saw an article about graficcards and an incompatible version of directx, i checked it out and it said that most of the older graficcards dont support directx 8.1 and that in some cases it could cause games to hang etc, after that i reinstalled win2000 to have an clean operativ.

well the problem that you all have djust poped up...and i have tryed everything that a normal person would do (including banging my head to the screen), and its still the same problem.

especially that thing with direct 3d and that really bothers me, are the cards to rapadly being manufactured today or is it only a big ass bug that everycardmanufacturer has implemented (so they will crash after a period of time and we buy new cards?)

i shall soon (of course) buy a new motherboard so i can put some life in the stoneage computer that i have :)

ps.problem still not solved!!

Hi, I've been reading your post and thought I'd add a couple of things you could try. Reinstall the latest direct x app, while in safe mode. Also, go into Dxdiag.exe and click the "Display" button, to check the refresh rate. If it's pretty high, try lowering it. Go to the "More Help" tad and click the "Override", button.
Hope this helps,
Eelad

The problem of the dell d1025De and the videocard geforce are the same with me. If i start windows my monitor goes blank :(

If you have a solution you may send it to gameover@hetnet.nl

Ooooh i know that kind of prob. I had the same @&$%...but i fixed it... Yes i did. I bought a new graphic card (Ge-Force3) and my troubles are gone .... Hhehehhhehehhehhe

On my system (750 Duron, ABit Siluro GeForce2 MX 400, Creative Audio PCI, 256 mb. SDRam), games start, then encounter a "FATAL EXCEPTION OE ERROR AT 0028:C00099B0
VXD VMM(01) +000089B0" error. I reformatted, reg fixed, did EVERYTHING, but nothing fixed it. Microsoft says there's a patch, but I can't get it. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?????????

FYI to all:

Awhile ago I did some research on problems I was having with my old PC, and found that a bunch of manufacturers had problems with the VIA 133 chipset and the newer "high end" AGP video cards. This was about 2 years ago, and my specific problem was with a TNT2/Ultra video card giving those VMM.DLL blue screen errors and randomly re-booting my PC.

Turns out the graphics cards draw too much voltage for the mobo to handle, and can lead to all sorts of problems. The GeFOrce cards were covered in this mess as well. So, something to think about.

I will NEVER buy a shabby or second-rate motherboard again. Sure, it's fun finding and fixing glitches when you build PCs, but it gets old after awhile. Strangely enough my current PC with an Intel CPU and Intel mobo just runs and runs for days at a time!

Well thanks to john sutcliffe of another forum (aopen) I have tried his suggestion and suceeded!!!!!

Go to your Display Properties, select settings > advanced > your Gfx card tab > additional properties > direct 3D settings.
From here set the PCI texture memory size to zero or two dependant on what drivers(if set correctly it will keep the value, otherwise it will default back to what it was). It solved the direct 3d problem! :)

directx 8.1 is out now....try it and see if same results happen.

i "heard" something about an agp aperature conflict with those cards....try upping it in ur bios or lowering it....worth a shot!

hope i helped
-jared weinfurtner

Hi all,

Right click on "My Computer" > open "Properties" > open "Device Manager" > open "Monitors" > you have more than one showing. One is your main monitor & the others are listed as "Default". The 'default' don't have DX support & some programs are using them. Remove them. Leave only the primary monitor. Re-boot & re-check. If by some chance Windows is detecting 'new hardware' (monitor) on reboot: go in & remove it again or disable it in all hardware profiles.

If you are using nView for dual monitor support: shut it off 'til this is fixed & disable that 2nd monitor.

Install DX8.1. Install the 28.32 WHQL certified driver for nVidia cards. Run dxdiag.exe & Direct Draw & Direct 3D should work.

Hope this helps,

JAV
GBA!

if u have any probs listed above and havent done so already try full install on xp if u have it instead of the upgrade.

I just installed the new detenator drivers and now when i play direct x games the system hangs and restarts, i have uninstalled the new drivers and re installed the old ones and still no difference, can anyone please help?
i can play open gl games, i cant even load directx diag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back