Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

via266 motherboard with both DDR and SD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kicket

Technical User
Jun 15, 2002
US
i m looking for a good socket A motherboard, using via kt266 chipset,and have both DDR and SD ram slots.

any good suggestions?
ff

Via KT266a? if so then the full size ATX Jetway V266b will fit the bill spot on!
I cannot praise this motherboard enough, it has been the backbone of all our mainstream system builds for the last 9months and it has proved to be the most reliable of mainboards, with very few problems and good performance plus DDR or SDram slots (two of each)
Jetway may not be one of the top names but you won't be disapointed with the quality, performance, reliability and price.
1X AGP slot 4X
5X PCI
2 DDR slots
2 SDram slots
Full size ATX form factor
Passive north bridge heatsink
ATA133
Onboard AC97 sound codec
USB1 plus two headers
Takes upto a 2.6 XP+ 133fsb
Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

do you mean 266 fsb?

any other options?
ff

If I were to put together a board using DDR or SDRam as an option, I would grab a board using the SiS 735 chipset instead, the ECS K75SA Pro. The ECS boards are very easy to find online, and supports USB 2.0 for ~$60.

Sorry to contradict you but we went FROM using the K7S5A TO the Jetway V266b because it is: Quicker, More reliable, and Less fussy with memory (Via KT266a chipset is far superior to the budget SIS 735)
We used to have 3 times as many returns when we used the ECS board, thankfully we stumbled across the V266a and now the b model (ATA133) and have never looked back.
My opinion is based on over 100 builds with the ECS and probably 3-400 with the Jetway. Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I've seen about 20 ECS motherboards and none of them have ever been screwy. The KT266a chipset is a better performer that the SiS 735, but in no way is it "far superior".

I advocate the ECS board because it is found at more online retaillers, a good performing board (if you're going for a budget mobo, speed isn't exactly the #1 factor anyways) and the USB 2.0 in the Pro version is a better trade-off than ATA/133 (even you have to agree with that).

You advocate the Jetway boards and you have your reasons too. I'm just highlighting another option.

Hey! everyone has there own opinion, I thought the K7S5A was a decent enough motherboard 18months ago
Are you sure about the USB2?
It seems unlikely that a cheap budget motherboard that is over 18months old now, has USB2.
I have searched high and low on the Elite Motherboard website for any reference to USB2 on this model.
Maybe on the latest revision? although I cannot see it.
Could you give me a link Dakota81. Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Yes, it appears that the ECS K7S5A does not support USB 2.0 as previously stated. Here are just two links I found:

Nevertheless, both boards are considered budget and each have their own advantages/disdvantages... ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I too have searched high and low on the ECS website... and within ~2 seconds discovered the following link: (Notice above which model I stated in my previous post)

Personally I haven't used a Jetway board so I can't comment on its greatness or mediocracy. Performance wise on paper, they're not very far apart, but I can say on feature comparison, I would pick the ECS mobo for myself; Kicket can choose any board he chooses, doesn't make any difference to me.

dakota,

I think the confusion is that there are 2 different ECS models out there:

- K7S5A
- K7S5A PRO

Only the PRO version supports USB 2.0. My confusion, along with paparazi's, was that we must have overlooked the Pro in your first post. My apologies...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

dakota81,
I stand corrected, I didn't see the "pro" in your post and was refering to the version of the motherboard that I new about.
I do apologise if my manner is rather matter of fact, this isn't intended, more just being lazy with the keyboard and not fully explaining myself.
I guess "far superior" was a little over stated, maybe I should have said "slightly better" but as you can see by my handle I do have associations with the press so I am prone to exageration and so appologise for that.
I suppose I am also unimpressed by the K7S5A because of my past experiences of the motherboard and likewise impressed by our own experiences of the Jetway replacement to the ECS that we had been using.
Please except my appologies again dakota81, sometimes I allow my own passion for a certain viewpoint, to cload my view to see others opinions.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back