Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VIA IDE Tool freezes WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

gshuster

Technical User
Jun 10, 2000
CA
Abit KT-7RAID board with Athlon T'bird 1400 & IDE ZIP100 drive.

Installed VIA IDE Tool to solve compatibility issue with Southbridge chip that caused ZIP drive to malfunction.

Now ZIP drive works perfectly, but getting intermittent freezing. Could last 1 or 2 seconds, could last up to a minute (nothing works, not even Ctrl-Alt-Del). Some times it's worse than others with several 1-minute freezes every couple of minutes. A reboot with a power cycle or hard reset sometimes resolves the issue for a while. EventViewer shows that the VIA SCSI driver timed out on each occassion, with no other error reported.

If I remove the VIA IDE Tool, I will have trouble writing & formatting the ZIP drive again.

Anyone have an idea of how to resolve this? BIOS and VIA 4-in-1 are most current versions.

You might want to try and install an ASPI Layer as all my XP Pro "hang" problems related to IDE were solved after I installed the 4.6 ASPI Layer. (Not the latest version as that did not work). If you want to try this do a search on ASPI to obtain the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back