Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VIA chipsets with numeric data processor enabled cause blue screens? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicD

Programmer
Jul 12, 2001
ZA
I have a Delphi 3 app using the latest BDE with paradox files. On some PCs running VIA chipsets (as opposed to Intel) the application causes a 'fatal exception 0e' blue screen error once the program has started. We've found that disabling the 'numeric data processor' via Control Panel->System seems to fix this problem. I tried recompiling in Delphi 5 and had exactly the same problem.

Has anybody else experienced this problem or have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks
Dominic

Dominic,

Yes, my company develops a math intensive DMS for the Used Car Industry. This is a problem with the VIA drivers, windows and Delphi. Usually, making sure the motherboard has installed the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers fixes this. In case this does not, we had to have the client upgrade to Windows 2000 pro to eliminate the memory addressing issues. Not much else you can do about it.

Cat

I also have a PC running an Athlon 850 on a Via chip set.
How recent do the drivers have to be to avoid this problem ?
(Cant say I have noticed the problem).
But I have had some stability issues since upgrading to D4, these are related to the debugger, not stopping the program in some instances.

Steve

sggnaunt,

I can only say the driver's did not fix the problem until after the first part of this year. The chipset we had the problem with is the 133A. If your app is not math intensive you won't run into the problem. I am not sure anyone knows exactly what causes it, only what we found would fix it.

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back