Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VIA chipsets & WinXP, what's the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lando2

Technical User
Jul 4, 2001
GB
For the last few hrs or so, I've been trailing around loads of busy forums on the net. I keep seeing again and again, the same issues relating to Windows XP and various VIA chipsets (Randon Reboots, ACPI errors, BSODs, NV4 Loops - the list goes on) These aren't just related to AMD or INTEL setups, its happening to many people (me included)

If you goto any Motherboard makers forums (msi/abit for starters) there's at least 1 or 2 treads on each page with people pulling their hair out over this issue... What I dont see is any definate fixes for the company techs, all I see are helpful people trying there best to help, but mainly just clutching at straws.

I thought it was just an Nvidia issue, which it mainly is, but that's probably only because most people now have Nvidia products (plus intel based chipsets have no problems with XP and Nvidia). So it boils down to a microsoft/via problem. What I dont see is anyone from via or MS having the same problem as their users. As it's so widespread, `they` have to know about it, but we dont see any official statements coming from anyone.

I know many people dont have a problem and XP is working just fine for them (as it does for me on my main PC (KT7a + WinXP) But rumours are spreading and professionals are advising users to stay away from XP and VIA chipsets. I personally wouldn't advise any non-technical person to upgrade to XP over say 2000 or Windows ME, as it seems very hit and miss if it'll work or not.

We want answers, we want patches, we want to our PCs to work properly.

Wow! I had no idea this was such a big problem. Though, reading your post, it does make sense as to why my PC reboots every time I try to watch a visual media file (DVD, AVI etc etc). I have gotten around the problem by unloading the nVidia Detonator drivers. So - because of this - I thought it was an nVidia problem - quite annoying because I can't get dual-screen capability with the WinXP drivers for my GeForce2 MX200.

My configuration is a Gigabyte Dual-PIII motherboard with a Via chipset, a single PIII 1Ghz and Windows XP RC2 (still waiting for my 'real' version to arrive).

"We want answers, we want patches, we want to our PCs to work properly." I agree.

I have a VIA chipset on my ABIT motherboard. I get constant ACPI errors. I just thought it was some BIOS setting that was incorrectly set, but never bothered with it because it seems to work fine besides from that. I didnt realise other people were also having trouble with the VIA chipset and XP.
I also have a NVIDIA card, but that appears to work quite well(except for DVD playback through a software decoder) in XP with the latest Detonator drivers fron NVIDIA.
Do you know if VIA have any patches or released a new 4in1 Chipset Driver to fix these problems?

Hmm - not that I have seen - though I haven't checked for about - oh - two weeks!

What sort of ACPI errors are you getting. I don't really have a problem with ACPI apart from the fact that XP can't 'shutdown' my PC itself - I have to turn it off myself.

Check your manufacturers or VIA's website for updated an BIOS. I was having a constant ACPI error on an Epox 8KTA3 motherboard. The updated BIOS fixed it and a few other problems. Everything is running smooth now.

Jazzgirl

I just noticed problems with automatic shutdown. With the updated BIOS this works too.

Jazzgirl

I have the latest BIOS from abit.
For starters I have the same problem, XP wont shut down the computer i have to manually shut it down. When my computer attempts to go into Standby mode it gets some Windows error. And in the System event log it keeps making error logs about the acpi. Im cant tell you want it says because i am on my work computer at the moment. Not my XP machine
This only occurs with XP, all other OS's (including Linux)run perfectly

You can disable the ACPI functions using device manager, and making your PC a `standard PC` under the computer bit.

This is the 3rd time I've tried to type this message, the last two times my PC has froze and rebooted after 10 seconds, then once started again, given me this error:

szAppName : Drivers.Display szAppVer : 10DE0110A16041163E
szModName : nv4_disp.dll szModVer : 5.13.1.1290 Offset : 9DEF06EA

I've now turned off the X4 AGP coz I heard that might be able to fix the problem, but now I'll have a performance hit :(

You can us the Standard Nvidia drivers that come with XP, but then you dont have any OpenGL.

Well, I'm off to see what VIA have to say about my message I sent em.. will pass on any info here.

well me and 4 other guys i know with xp and via chips had now problems. The only familiar problem is the one with ths SB Live series. The SB live card it causes a data coruption at via kt133 & kt133A. I think is also happens nad with KT266 &266A. This can make xp hang.

This is what I get in my event log after a crash/reboot, I've tried everything now...

"The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates."

Many people are getting this.

Well, it seems that I am not the only with the "Nvidia loop" problem. Anyway, it appears to moderate when I add more ram to the system (576 Mb) and lower some of the details.

That's not really a solution is it.. I'm having to use the rubbish onboard video instead of AGP until they get a fix.

Sure makes me wonder where all you guys were during the beta. Hard to believe nobody reported these problems by last March.

My guess is that the real fix is a BIOS upgrade, which may take more or less time depending on your motherboard maker.

I assumed that everyone's installed these already, but thought I might as well post anyway... Only thing it'll do is make me look silly. Not that I don't already.

VIAHardware's got official 4-in-1 Drivers for WindowsXP up(ver 4.35). I've *heard* that the 4 in 1's solve a few Nvidia problems, but it's only what I've heard. <shrug> worth a try anyway, if you haven't already. The Jhereg
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
I never lie.
I'm building a reputation for honesty so I can blow it when something big comes along... This ain't it.

Nah, the latest 4in1's dont actually install anything for XP, all they do if update the inf file, no new drivers.

Only solution we and many others have found so far, is to disable all Hardware acceleration under the advanced tab in display properties. This stops stops the BSODs, but now I cant run any 3d stuff, until a proper solution is found.

I know the majority of you have via chipsets but it is happening with intel chipsets as well. I have a Dell inspiron 8100 and it is happening. It started for me with the 21.83 geforce 2 go drivers. So I think there are two issues maybe. The via chipset being one and the nvida drivers and how they talk to the hardware.

If the BIOS upgrade is the ticket and you(I actually) run a OE version of a Phoenix BIOS,then what?? Dell says no more BIOS updates for my XPST now that it is a one year old &quot;antique&quot; but I may need one to run XP. I have been getting TONS of hangs,freezes,studders,pauses etc etc.Can I flash somthing new there I.E. a Phoenix dirext BIOS.I feel this may be a no-no but I'm not sure.
Jimi_l
jim@jlproduction.com

Guys,

I checked out the viaarena.com over the weekend (a last ditch try before I reformatted and went back to Win2k), and I found the following posting - from Via themselves:

Following the steps of Fiona Gatt has fixed my problem - I can now play any media with the nVidia Detonator drivers loaded (which means I can once again watch stuff on the TV!)

I have a Gigabyte dual-PIII MB with Via chipset and Geforce2 MX200. Now using the 4.35v 4n1 drivers (with Win98 AGP driver - installed as suggested) and Detonator v21.83 with Windows XP Professional. No more hang driver loops and BSOD's (yet! - though this one was the only one I was actually getting).

Good luck to you all!

SiS is ok - I made a friend a very cheap Duron PC from one, very stable, but a cheap solution that's not much use to powerusers and overclockers. The next mobo I get will probably be P4/DDR/intel setup (maybe i845DDR) Although I love Athlons and their cheapness and power, I'm fed up with VIA (and Athlons heat) and its many revisions of basically the same chipset. I'll be going for a bit of a performance loss quitting the Athlon, but have the stability of the P4 with intel chipset.

I'm not sure about the previous comment about a `bug` in the VIA southbridge, as my KT7a (VIA KT133A) I use at home works fine with XP & Geforce2 Pro (never crashes), I've never installed a via 4in1 pack on it, it's using Windows XPs built in VIA drivers. But saying that, it's still wont make me buy VIA based mobos in the future, just too many mysterious niggles for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back