Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VI6 running under WinME can't find "localhost"

Status
Not open for further replies.

demivolt

Programmer
Aug 21, 2001
US
Fellow subscribers:

I'm a SQL-VB programmer just starting out in VisualInterDev 6. I have
VI6 installed on my office machine (Win2000) and everything works okay. I also
installed VI6 (pro edtion) on my home machine (WinMe) and when I try
to start a new project VI6 tells me it can't find the server
"localhost."

Personal Web Server is installed and is running. I have made an entry for
"127.0.0.1 localhost" in my host.sam file and renamed it to "host"
with no file extension. I can't start a new new projec with the
name of my computer as the server either. However I CAN start
a new project when I specify the ip address of my networked office
machine--which tells me that it's not necessarily at VI setup problem.

Can anyone suggest why I'm not able to use "localhost" as the
project server?

Also, has anyone heard that VI6 won't work with WinME at all?

Thanks in advance,

Demivolt

I'm having the same problem on a computer with 2000. It may be a setup problem, how can I tell?

WinMe doesnt support PWS. you can see more on this thread333-41675

Froggg ... have you run the permission wizard and check server extentions tasks in IIS?

How do I do this? It's a friend's computer and I'm sort of trying to help him long distance - I don't know too much about installations and stuff like that.

Thanks.

Try the following...
1. Make sure you have the latest service pack for VI6/VS.
2. Go to tools|options and click the "+" sign next to Projects. Click Web Proxy Settings - unclick "Use system settings" and select "do not use proxy server for local addresses".

Rich

Rich

I tried the project setting you suggested, but to no avail. However, I apparently don't
have any service packs installed on VI6 because they areen't mentioned in the "about." My version is 8426-. I originally installed VI6 when I installed Visual Studio 6.0. Since then I have installed 5 sevice packs, mainly as upgrades to Visual Basic. These service packs have definately been applied to VB6 as they show up when starting VB. Are the service packs for VI6 separate from the Visual Studio service packs? If so, can you tell me the name(s), what is the latest one, from where can they be easily downloaded?
I went the to Micrsoft download center but, after a cursory search, I didn't really see any SP's that applied to VI6 alone.

Thanks,
Demivolt

RichS,
Just for curiosity's sake, I checked the settings on my computer, running 2000 Professional, and localhost works fine, and "Use system settings" is checked. It works fine as I mentioned before. Can you explain?
Thanks.

Windows ME doesn't support PWS. I ended up dual booting and using Win2K.

I have the same problem with win2000, and VI6 can't find localhost. Any other suggestions?

What is dual booting? Booting using partitioned hard drives? Booting with separate hard drives? Also, from reading other threads associated with this issue, I've gleaned that Micosoft doesn't "support" VI6 with WinMe, as in "offer tech support," but can VI6 be made to work with WinMe?
Thanks,
Demivolt

Hi
Had exactly the same problem with Win2k / IIS. It turned out that the Frontpage Server Extensions weren't installed!! What a pig it was to find too!!
Solution isn't too bad - open Internet Services Manager, right click on the server (i.e. computer name in my case). Select All Tasks, and in there you'll probably find "install Server Extensions". Bingo! Worked first time on my machine.
I suspect you could also do this through the VS Enterprise CD as well by getting to the backoffice install off Disk2, but havent tried it that way.
I couldnt swear it's the same for W9X/PWS but I know I had the same problem and went to 2K because of it!! GRRR!
There is a knowledge base article on this Q195954 which lists plenty of other links for similar problems.
By the way, another problem I had was what server name to use - I find localhost works fine.
HTH
Rich

You can also check to see if IIS is installed , it does'nt install by default. The FPSE is also a common problem.

If you goto control panel , add /remove programs (this is for w2k) and windows component and make sure IIS is checked and all the sub menus within it.

As for ME it is not supported , PWS does seem to work but does'nt really , upgrade to w2k or downgrade to 98se.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back