Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vgaoem.fon missing on xp boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rixter67

MIS
Sep 18, 2001
US
I get to the white lines at the bottom and the message of vgaoem.fon file missing try running repair from the Windows XP cd. I have looked at the MS fix for this, but when I boot with the XP Pro CD, I don't get the option of inputting Administrator password.

Also, when I try to run a directory check on the C: drive, I am getting a parameter enumeration error. I can get the directory of the CD drive.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

... get to the white lines at the bottom and the message of vgaoem.fon file missing.."

"...when I boot with the XP Pro CD, I don't get the option of inputting Administrator password."

"...when I try to run a directory check on the C: drive, I am getting a parameter enumeration error."

These are all indications of a corrupted hard disk drive. I would download first the hard drive manufactuer's diagnostic/install floppy image from their website, and run any non-destructive repairs that may be offered. Then try Recovery Console again. If you still cannot get in and are using a FAT32 filestore, make a Bart PE type boot CD and use it to try and do a chkdsk /f on the drive; I would use this flavor of Bart's PE:
If the drive still proves unable to boot without error, boot again with the PE CD and copy your data files from the drive.

Are you actually entering the Recovery Console or have you taken a wrong turn and gone into the repair install of Windows or another part of Setup?

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Use the Expand command from the Recovery Console and use ChkDsk /r from it too, and check your drive.

Error Message After Upgrade to Windows XP: The Following File Is Missing or Corrupted: Windows\System\Vgaoem.fon

Thanks for the help folks. Bcastner, I was able to boot with UBCD 4 and run PC Inspector to recover most of the valuable files. Your help has been priceless. Cheerz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back